01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I use a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" feature?

Hi everyone
I have the same issue. I cant see a connection column.
How did you correct this please?

As a work around, I did CTRL A to select everything on the page, then pasted onto a word document and could see what you mean Phil23 by the NVR's ip address followed by the ports, 65001. 65002, 65003.
So i inputted this into IE address bar and can navigate to the cameras that way. Saved each camera to IE favourites.

Maybe someone has the same problem...
i solved this way:
On camera management web pages, click Safari in the menu bar and you'll see the "Setting for this website" option, and click on it.
Deselect the "Enable content blockers"

OSX 10.13.4 - Safari 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.2)
NVR 7604NI-K1/4P V3.4.96 build 170921

I have correctly setup virtual host in my DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P but I can't able to access camera Web Interface when accessing it remotely.? Is this possible? It is only showing me local ip and port.

I'll assume you are currently port forwarding your nvr and viewing the web page.
You will need to VPN in so you can access local addresses remotely.
The other, less safe and not recommended but technically possible option is to port forward the 6500x ports on your router and target the cameras directly.

Using a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" Feature
One of the most successful selling points of a Hikvision NVR to many small-setup customers is the "Plug and Play" functionality that simplifies the setup process of their surveillance system. However, plugging a camera directly into a port on the NVR unfortunately does not allow you to access the camera via its own internal LAN IP using a browser due to it being on the NVRs internal network, and this can significantly reduce the amount of configuration options you have access to. The NVR does allow you to configure many options for each connected camera, but some essential features are only accessible via connecting to the camera itself (such as audio codec options). This was of course a big problem previously.

With the advent of newer firmware and models of NVR, Hikvision have introduced a feature called Virtual Host. Activating this feature turns your NVR into a "host" for the cameras allowing you to connect to them via a browser. Essentially, the NVR forwards all traffic received from your browser to the appropriate camera you're trying to connect to, eliminating the biggest problem of plug and play functionality.

Note: Whilst Hikvision are working to update existing models of NVR to enable this feature, not all of them will currently have Virtual Host functionality. We recommend checking online and updating your firmware to see whether your model is compatible.

First of all, access your NVR via a web browser. If you do not know the LAN IP of your NVR, download Hikvision's tool SADP here. It scans your network for any Hikvision devices that are connected and allows you to see and/or change their network settings, including the internal IP.

Once you've logged in, navigate to Configuration --> System --> Camera Management

6FZLTj7.png

This screen displays all the connected cameras on your NVR. Notice that the final column labelled "Connect" is currently empty. We'll be coming back here in a moment.

Now, navigate to Network --> Advanced Settings --> Other tab and make sure you tick the option "Enable Virtual Host"

NB - when you click 'Save' your NVR will reboot.

TIoEqOg.png

Now, navigate back to the Camera Management window from earlier. You'll notice that the previously empty connect tab now features links for each camera currently connected to your NVR.

Y4kDtTg.png

Di9VKfN.png

Simply click on any of these links to access the respective camera via your web browser.

ITEwue7.png

That's it, you're done!

This should help with those times when you want to access options on your camera that your NVR doesn't feature. If you have any further questions feel free to ask, we're happy to help.

This guide was made using a Hikvision 7608NI-E2-8P which can be found on our webshop here.
For our full range of Hikvision NVRs please look hereinstead.​

@Kieran I have got a DS-7604NI-K1 model and I am trying to access my camera GUI to enable the camera to record the audio.

the instructions which you mentioned before would it work in my model?

Yes, virtual host works with the 7604 NVRs

Yes, virtual host works with the 7604 NVRs

Thanks. you just enable audio from the virtual host and it worked right away?

But it stated that it will reboot your NVR, would you loose all your settings? did you lost yours?

Virtual host enables you to access your camera directly and access camera settings.
You will need to set the audio on, choose the correct format, etc.

It will reboot.
You will not lose settings.

Virtual host enables you to access your camera directly and access camera settings. You will need to set the audio on, choose the correct format, etc. It will reboot. You will not lose settings.
Virtual host enables you to access your camera directly and access camera settings. You will need to set the audio on, choose the correct format, etc. It will reboot. You will not lose settings.

Thanks you again

Is there a lot of formats to choose?

What format is appropriate or what format are you using if you don’t mind I asking?

Hello Phil & Kieram,

Many thanks for sharing this, extremely useful info here.

On my end all is fine, virtual hosts enabled and 650... ports working ok, however I'm unable to login into the cameras.

Cameras have been configured with plug and play on NVR, my assumption is that password would be the same as the NVR,

However I keep on getting the following error message: Incorrect user name or password. The device will be locked after X failed login attempts.

Could anyone please give me some pointers?

Thanks again :)

As standard, if your Hikvision cameras are direct-connected to the camera ports on your NVR, then the NVR will pass its user name and password to the cameras.

I have decided to use the 'Virtual Host' system mentioned here but I have run into a problem.

When I type in the IP address of my NVR, it takes me to the Hikvision site and I simply log in and then proceed to set up the 'Virtual Host' as per the instructions here and it all works perfectly. However, when I then click on the new IP Address of the camera, the system takes me to the log-in page again and it doesn't recognise the username/password. Can anyone explain this please?

Thank you

Did you set different user names and passwords for your cameras?
As standard, if your Hikvision cameras are direct-connected to the camera ports on your NVR, then the NVR will pass its user name and password to the cameras.

I have tried all of the passwords that I have used (only 2) in the process of setting everything up and none of them work. The strange thing is when I go into the Hikvision site the password works but after clicking on the 'Virtual' link it doesn't and neither does the other one.
The password system is a real pain, I think that if you choose to not have the system password protected, then I think that you should be able to.

Not tries this yet but just wondering. Do you need to turn off the virtual host feature when done?

No.
It's very useful, and we normally just set it on and leave it on.

Hello.

I will try explain this the best I can.

I have the virtual hosts working Locally and Remotely.

Is there anyway to connect a Remote DVR I have at work by IPC to the NVR at homes cameras if I have Virtual Host turned on and remote ports open ?

Kind Regards

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking / trying to achieve.

I thought that.

I want to some how display the cameras at my house that are connected to an NVR On my DVR Screen at work ?

I thought maybe this can be done by putting the NVR in Virtual Host mode and connecting the cameras to the DVR at work with IP camera settings ?

kind regards

Sorry, you can't do that.
You should be able to access them from a PC browser, or iVMS-4200 with the appropriate configuration, port forwarding, etc.

Thanks for that.

Yes we can access them normally. App, Web Browser, Ivms Client.

I wanted them on the same screen as our work DVR :-(

Kind Regards

Back