01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Unable to access Hikvision NVR over LAN

drmcross

I have an 8 port Hikvision NVR which is directly hardwired to 8xPOE cameras around our property. I can access most settings directly at the NVR by using a wired mouse with no problem. I use NO-IP for DDNS and can see all my cameras with IVMS-4500 on my iPhone.

My problem is that I just swapped out one of my fixed cameras for a mini PTZ and I wanted to log into the camera directly to set up some of the auto tracking features. To do so I first need to log into the NVR via it’s IP address to change some camera access settings but I can’t do so. Whatever I try just results in an error page. I have port forwarding set up on my BT router through ports 80, 8000, 554 and 443 but trying to access the router by adding “:554” etc to the end of the IP address makes no difference. Hugely annoying! Anyone have any ideas?

@drmcross could you post the model number and firmware of your NVR?

Using the nvr virtual host, can you access all your cameras via a pc locally?

The NVR is DS-7608NI-I2/8P with firmware V4.1.11. Using IVMS-4200 on my PC or Mac I can see all camera feeds and access NVR no problem. My understanding was that, in order to set up smart tracking on my new DS-2DE4A425IW-DE PTZ I would first have to "Enable virtual host" on the NVR to allow access to the camera which is not a setting I can find using the IVMS interface - hence the reason for wanting to log in directly via the IP.

The NVR is DS-7608NI-I2/8P with firmware V4.1.11. Using IVMS-4200 on my PC or Mac I can see all camera feeds and access NVR no problem. My understanding was that, in order to set up smart tracking on my new DS-2DE4A425IW-DE PTZ I would first have to "Enable virtual host" on the NVR to allow access to the camera which is not a setting I can find using the IVMS interface - hence the reason for wanting to log in directly via the IP.
Do you know the wan side port number you are forwarding to port 80 http? Use that number on the end of your public ip.

All the WAN side port numbers mirror the internal port numbers. My IVMS-4500 app uses 8000 looking at the settings but I have had no joy using any of them!

All the WAN side port numbers mirror the internal port numbers. My IVMS-4500 app uses 8000 looking at the settings but I have had no joy using any of them!
Make the wan side non standard like 3568 to lan port 80. Do you use https?

Thanks David, it must be nearly as frustrating for you as it is for me! Still no joy although I do notice that I don’t have my 3G/4G port open so I may fiddle with that. Off all else fails it will be reset and start again time. It’s just frustrating as SADP and IVMS can both locate the NVR but when I try to do so using the IP directly - nothing! Thanks for your efforts anyway!

I have an 8 port Hikvision NVR which is directly hardwired to 8xPOE cameras around our property. I can access most settings directly at the NVR by using a wired mouse with no problem. I use NO-IP for DDNS and can see all my cameras with IVMS-4500 on my iPhone.

My problem is that I just swapped out one of my fixed cameras for a mini PTZ and I wanted to log into the camera directly to set up some of the auto tracking features. To do so I first need to log into the NVR via it’s IP address to change some camera access settings but I can’t do so. Whatever I try just results in an error page. I have port forwarding set up on my BT router through ports 80, 8000, 554 and 443 but trying to access the router by adding “:554” etc to the end of the IP address makes no difference. Hugely annoying! Anyone have any ideas?
Forget port forwarding for now if you're simply trying to access the NVR and/or cameras while you are on the network, port forwarding will have no effect. That is solely used so that you can connect remotely - when you connect to your single external IP address, the port forwarding rules enable the router to direct the incoming traffic from your app to the correct internal IP address of your NVR. Besides if you can already get the cameras remotely on your phone using NO-IP the port forwarding is correct.

Firstly while on your home network, you should be able to connect to your NVR using the web browser of a PC at its internal IP address - usually 192.168.xxx.xxx. It looks as though (from your port forwarding description) that you have kept the default ports. In that case if your NVR address is 192.168.0.100, you access it at http://192.168.0.100. If you have changed the default http port from 80 to 8080 for instance, you would access it at http://192.168.0.100:8080.

Once you've accessed the NVR on a web browser you'll find virtual host in Settings > Network > Advanced. If it's not there, perhaps your firmware doesn't support it - it does look to be very old - my I series was delivered in November 2019 with 4.22 on it and the latest is now 4.50.000. You may need to bring your NVR up to date. Once virtual host is available you can access the cameras by adding :65001 to 65008 to the end of the IP address. Using my previous example Camera 3 would be at http://192.168.0.100:65003. Thats only available while on your local network. If you want to access the cameras menus from elsewhere you'd need to port forward 65001 to 65008 to the NVR as well.

Last edited:
......And if you don't want to update NVR firmware at this point. If you check the NVR assigned IP address for the camera in question in the camera settings you can use that to access it. Connect a PC or laptop to one of the PoE ports on the NVR, change the PC IP address to 192.168.254.xxx and then enter the cameras IP address in a web browser and do what you need to do

Thanks David, it must be nearly as frustrating for you as it is for me! Still no joy although I do notice that I don’t have my 3G/4G port open so I may fiddle with that. Off all else fails it will be reset and start again time. It’s just frustrating as SADP and IVMS can both locate the NVR but when I try to do so using the IP directly - nothing! Thanks for your efforts anyway!

check 4G router wan side logs for incoming blocked connections
router firewall could be blocking incoming non standard ports, temporarily disable firewall
see if you can ping your 4G router public IP from remote, you may have to enable wan ping replies on the router
temporarily allow router management from the wan side on port 80 http and try to access the router

I used to use port forwarding but enabled the vpn (L2TP) server on my router for a more secure connection.

Hallelujah! Thank you @JB1970! Decided the hardwire option was the one for me, changed my laptop IP and plugged into a POE port now can access the camera in question. Thank you so much - this isn’t something I’ll need to do often but was driving me mad. Much appreciated. Thank you @David as well for bearing with me and for all your advice.

One final point on this for anyone else who had/has the same problem. Once I connected my laptop directly to the NVR via one of the POE ports I was able to navigate to the NVR IP address, login and check the "Enable virtual host" checkbox. Having done that I can now access both the NVR and all the IP cameras by their respective IP addresses over my LAN. Great stuff!

Back