01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

unpowered switch

cbbella

hi, my equipment consists of

hikvision DS-7616NI-E2-16P-A nvr
hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP cameras x4
hikvision DS-3E0109P-E poe switch

i want to run my camera cables into my loft space and plug them into my poe switch then have one cable running down from the switch to my nvr which is in my living area. my problem is that i have no power outlet in my loft to power a poe switch. the reason i bought this particular switch is because it says this on the hikvision website

"Hikvision 8-ports 100Mbps unmanaged PoE+ switch
DS-3E0109P-E is an 8 10/100Mbps ports unmanaged switch that requires no configuration and provides 8 PoE (Power over Ethernet) ports. It can automatically detect and supply power with all IEEE 802.3af/at compliant Powered Devices (PDs). In this situation, the electrical power is transmitted along with data in one single cable allowing you to expand your network to where there are no power lines or outlets, where you wish to fix devices such as IP Cameras or IP Phones, etc."

i've tried setting it up in my living room first to see if it all connects properly but the only way i can get any lights on the switch is to plug it in with the supplied power cable but as hivision state "expand your network to where there are no power lines or outlets" i thought i could use the switch unpowered.

can someone explain to me how i can do this

TIA

The text that you have quoted refers to the switch ports i.e. you can plug things (cameras) into those ports and only need the data cable to the camera (POE power will be supplied via the data cable, no separate power is required at the camera location).

There are switches available (CAMSWITCH) which can be powered via POE then pass POE power onto your cameras, but these are considerably more expensive.

ok thanks, i guess i'll have to get power socket installed in my loft space

Back