01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Upgrade Analog System to IP

BigJoe

Hi,
We are currently using a Hikvision DS-7208HQHI DVR with 8 coaxial cameras and 2 IP cameras, which is now the limit for this unit and we want to add a further 2 IP cameras.

Due to the location of these new cameras adding them over POE will be very easy but considering I have reached the limit on my current system I am thinking of upgrading to 16 channel IP NVR DS-7616NI-I2-16P.

So will this work:
Get a 16 channel NVR.
Add my 2 new IP cameras to this.
Move my existing 2 IP cameras to this unit.
Get 2x AXIS M7104 4-Channel Video Encoders and move the existing 8 coax cameras to the new unit.

So will this work?
Is the AXIS M7104 the best thing for converting analog/coaxial cameras to IP?

BigJoe

It should work.
It'd be a little complex, because you have to configure the encoders to stream each camera at a separate IP address.
And then configure the NVR to accept an Axis/ONVIF video stream as a manual addition from each of those IP addresses.

It's not done often, because encoders are expensive (more than NVRs & DVRs), and the resulting images are not going to be as good as you would get if you replaced the cameras with new high-res IP cameras.
Of course, it depends upon your co-ax runs - it's not always easy to replace your analogue cameras.

Back