01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Upgrading Hikvision's iVMS-4200 software for Windows?

paulus

Any tips on how to upgrade from older versions of IVMS ?

I'm still on v2.8.2.2. I installed when I first set up the system just over a year ago.
There is a box in the "About" submenu of Help in the IVMS software which says "Latest Version", but it does nothing if selected.

If I download the latest version & open the file, does it automatically install over the existing version, keeping all settings for my existing system ?
Or do I have to start from scratch again ?
Thanks in advance !

Hi @paulus

I have just updated our demo iVMS-4200 from v2.0.0.10 to v2.0.0.11 and when you download & install the new version it did wipe the existing software and reinstall it as new (right down to having to set a new super user), but this is for the Mac version of the software which is older/clunkier than the PC version so I don't know if the same will apply.

If you are worried about losing your existing setup, you should be able to find a similar option to the 'export system config file' button shown below in the PC software that will let you save you current setup and then you can import the config file once the new software is installed.

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 15.50.50.png

Dan, thanks for the response.

The Windows version also demands your Super User info on initial start up & requires you to set up 3 Security questions (only a few of the available options are likely to be secure / obscure enough if you're paranoid - lol).

Found the export Config. file option in my old version easily, not so easy to find the Import option in the new version.
The Menu system in 3.1.6 is very mixed up - nowhere near as clear as the old version or the MAC version you show in your post.

Stupidly, it seems to install with it set to auto start with Windows, which then makes it difficult to re-start just the iVMS software as requested after importing the previous Config file.

A big bonus is that the WiFi network overhead seems to be reduced. Previously I could never leave the previous version of iVMS running in the background on my laptop as it really slowed down any software using the WiFi. It now seems tolerable to leave running. However, we'll see over the next few days.

Thanks again,
Paul

Last edited:
Back