01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Upgrading old Hikvision, need help choosing between 2

nuro

Hi,

I am looking to replace my old DS-2CD2032-I that I have had for a couple of years now. The camera is for our driveway.

What I am looking for:
- Better night time performance
- Better quality picture
- Turret (so don't have to constantly remove spider web)
- Should work with Synology Surveillance Station

The Hikvisions I am looking at are: DS-2CD2385G1-I & DS-2CD2385FWD-I

From my understanding the DS-2CD2385G1-I seems to be an upgraded version of the DS-2CD2385FWD-I, is that correct? I don't see any IR LEDs on the DS-2CD2385G1-I, does it perform well at night?

Out of the 2, which would you recommend? Should I look at something else?

Also, will they work with a TP-LINK TL-PoE150S PoE Injector Adapter, IEEE 802.3af?

Thanks for your help!

From my understanding the DS-2CD2385G1-I seems to be an upgraded version of the DS-2CD2385FWD-I, is that correct? I don't see any IR LEDs on the DS-2CD2385G1-I, does it perform well at night?

Out of the 2, which would you recommend? Should I look at something else?

Also, will they work with a TP-LINK TL-PoE150S PoE Injector Adapter, IEEE 802.3af?

Hi,

We would recommend the 2385G1, you are correct that it is the updated version of the standard 2385 and the main improvement is a new sensor with darkfighter technology which improves night performance. The 2385G1 does have IR but it is only visible when the LEDs are on as they are positioned behind the anti-reflective glass above and below the cameras lens, so the LEDs and lens are separated the same way as the old turrets.

They use standard PoE (IEEE 802.3af) so there shouldn't be any problem using them with that PoE switch.

Hello, I'm also stuck on this dilemma between the 2 cameras, although you say the new DS-2CD2385G1-I is better, do you have any video / picture comparison? There are currently no reviews on YouTube of the DS-2CD2385G1-I, so I'm unsure and also how come if its the new version, yet the price is only £7 more?

Hello, I'm also stuck on this dilemma between the 2 cameras, although you say the new DS-2CD2385G1-I is better, do you have any video / picture comparison? There are currently no reviews on YouTube of the DS-2CD2385G1-I, so I'm unsure and also how come if its the new version, yet the price is only £7 more?

I bought the 2CD2385G1 and it's fantastic, would highly recommend getting it. The 2CD2385G1 is still fairly new and not sold everywhere so I think that's why there's a lack of reviews, but it is the upgraded version of the 2CD2385FWD. I attached some screenshots from the 2CD2385G1.

Attachments

• Driveway-20190522-062608.jpg
    Driveway-20190522-062608.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 951
  • Driveway-20190522-062529.jpg
    Driveway-20190522-062529.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,069
Thanks Nuro for the screenshots, they do look good. Is that a 2.8mm or 4mm? I'm guessing the single hole design is better than the 2 small holes design (from the previous version) for some reason.

I wish HikVision did one of these with an alarm, as I would like the ability to trigger an alarm on detection of intrusion, at least that way, I can do something about it if the intruder has covered their face up.

It's the 4mm. Only thing I wish was it did audio recording as well.

It doesn't? Surely not. I thought it would be pretty much a standard thing among cameras now that at least they have audio recording (not 2 way audio). Even Swanns one and Reolinks ones (eg. Reolink RLC-420 - 5MP/4MP PoE Dome Security IP Camera ) has mic recordings.

Can anyone at Use-IP confirm this and the reason why they don't have mic recordings?

Last edited:
Hi @nuro & @will_k

Almost all Hikvision turrets do not have built-in microphones, the only model that does is the new 2347 ColorVu Turret

From our testing though we have never been overly impressed with using built-in microphones outdoors, they can work ok for smaller models like the Mini Domes where the distance they are covering is much shorter, but with turret cameras, you are more often than not using them to cover distances greater than 10-15m and with all the background noise (wind, rain, trees rustling, etc...) you are not going to get very clear audio over those sort of distances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @nuro & @will_k

Almost all Hikvision turrets do not have built-in microphones, the only model that does is the new 2347 ColorVu Turret

From our testing though we have never been overly impressed with using built-in microphones outdoors, they can work ok for smaller models like the Mini Domes were the distance they are covering is much shorter, but with turret cameras, you are more often than not using them to cover distances greater than 10-15m and with all the background noise (wind, rain, trees rustling, etc...) you are not going to get very clear audio over those sort of distances.

Thank you Dan for your answer. The link you sent is EasyIP 4.0 product, do they have the same but with 4K? I don't see any on your website?

Hi @will_k

The EasyIP 4.0 range is currently only available in 4MP resolution, we don't know if they have plans for 6 or 8MP models but currently, the sensor technology they are using is only available in 4MP

I was also looking to buy the DS-2CD2385G1-I. I noticed that the image sensor is smaller 1/2" compared to the DS-2CD2385FWD-I that has a 1/2.5 image sensor. Could you tell me the name of the new sensor being used in the DS-2CD2385G1-I so I can look it up.

Could you tell me what IR sensors are used in the DS-2CD2385G1-I?

Would it is possible to see a side by side video on the differences between the two.

Thanks

Hi @bellybuster

It's a simple mistake to make but in sensor sizes a 1/2"(half inch) sensor is actually bigger than a 1/2.5" sensor which moves closer to a 1/3" (third inch) sensor. You can see this laid out in the table below:

We don't yet have a side by side test of the 2385FWD vs. 2385G1 and we haven't opened one up to see exactly what sensor it is using, as far as we are aware the IR LEDs are the same EXIR LEDs of the last generations of turrets. The Darkfighter technology in the EasyIP 3.0 cameras is not full Darkfighter like the more expensive 5-series Darkfighter cameras, the 3.0 cameras are referred to as 'powered by Darkfighter' because they only use the software side of the Darkfighter technology to improve how the cameras process low-light images. Many of the people who have bought the G1 versions from us have previously had FWD versions and we have yet to have any feedback saying that the older FWD had performed better, but more importantly the choice between FWD and G1 versions is soon not going to be a choice (in the UK at least) as the G1 models will be superseding the older FWD models.

Back