01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

UPS

johp778

Hi All

I've just received my Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P NVR, not setup yet, but seen Hikvision "highly recommend" using a UPS. It's not something i'd heard of before, so started searching online, however there appears to be quite a variety, some of which are quite expensive. I've read that you really want a line-interactive one, but it's difficult to know what size/va I need?

I am going to be running my cameras via poe from the nvr, 24/7, i only have 1 camera, but will probably add another 2 or 3. I read on here Hikvision don't currently interact with any UPS, so when the UPS runs out of power, the NVR goes off anyway and with some UPS mentioning as little as 5 mins (if I've read the estimated stats right), what's the chances it happens when I'm there to be able to quickly shutdown the system?

Any help/advice appreciated.

You are right, the Hikvision has no intelligence so having a UPS does not shut your system down cleanly. The main purpose of a CCTV UPS is to continue recording if someone flips your power at the meter box before breaking in. BUT recording will not continue if the any cameras or PoE supply is not covered but he UPS.

The Hikvision will not suffer from dirty shutdowns, and the only reason that Hikvision recommend one is to protect the unit from spikes - Only valid in poor supply countries.

Hi, I thought the recommendation for a UPS was not just from a security point of view, but to protect the NVR/HDD. However what you're saying is, if we have a power cut, I need not worry (apart from there'll be no cctv, which i can live with) and therefore a surge protect extension is all I need.

Basically correct. As the Hikvision NVR range do not integrate with the UPS to automatically shutdown, it will just power off dirtily when the UPS runs out of juice. So unless you need recording during power outages and or better spike protection than a surge protector there is not much point.

I guess the only other argument is that you buy a UPS that can run for 45-90 minutes and that will outlast most power outages within eh uk.

As you say, if I can get a UPS that will last around 1hr, it will probably cover most power cuts we have, but not essential. I'm realising that I should have done even more research, as if i buy a ups, it would make sense for it to cover my router & nas as well, which with my planned location of my nvr, it would not, but that's another story, thank you for your help.

Back