01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using a UPS with Hikvision NVRs

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Hikvision do recommend using an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with their NVRs if you wish to protect/maintain the power supply.

If you are using POE from the NVR to power your IP cameras, then the UPS will in fact keep your whole IP CCTV system running during a power outage.

However, currently none of the Hikvision range of NVRs offer any connectivity to interact with a UPS and shutdown safely before the UPS power finally runs out :oops:

Considering how inexpensive a UPS is compared to the cost of an NVR and cameras, it's worth it just for the surge protection.

Is there any update to this, like is there anyway to notify NVR to shutdown before the UPS runs out of power?

There was a long power outage at my area, and my UPS could power the NVR up only a few hours, and after that the NVR was shut down and I lost all my camera data, fortunately the hard disk still works ok after I formatted it.

No update AFAIK

Have my NVR (7604NI-K1) installed and using currently only 3 cams (4th to be added at some stage). I don't have it running through a UPS, just a standard socket, UPS sprung to mind when we had a mains fault lately and the CCTV went down. Any spec of for a UPS for my system and how long would it keep it powered for? I see many options and prices!

Safe shutdown hasn't really been an issue as I can access NVR for any works but really trying to just avoid any down time if power ever went.

Probably should have modem through UPS also?

@OrdinaryJoe - If you want to determine what specification UPS you want/need then I would suggest using a UPS calculator tool like this one from APC

You need to add up the Watts maximum power consumption from all the devices you want to power from the UPS. Unfortunately that's not that easy as you will find some device manufacturers don't even list power consumption in their specs (thankfully Hikvision do - under "General"). But even when the manufacturer does list it there may be other factors - for example, Hikvision might list a NVR as "≤15 W (without HDD)" so of course you don't know what it will actually be with 1 or 2 HDD. But it gives you a start point for a rough calculation which you can add a percentage to to be safe.

Of course you have to take into account your PoE cameras connected to the NVR. And/or any external PoE switches (and other network devices/routers/modems if you need to keep those running too).

Also note that some cameras like ANPR and motorised PTZ cameras will have a larger power consumption that other "normal" cameras.

Reactions: Dan
I think it tends to be more a case of what you are willing to pay.
If you can calculate the loads for your system, then you could arrive at a theoretical duration of how long the UPS will keep it running for.

But, who can say how long is long enough?
I think some homes in the North of England are now on their 8th day without power!

A unit from a reputable brand for around the £100 mark will probably keep your system running for say 30mins up to an hour.
Choose a unit with good electrical supply protection and you gain that permanent advantage too e.g. prevents mains spikes and conditions the mains supply - thereby hopefully preventing any system glitches due to power.

Back