01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using HiLookVision Client to access video on Storage Server

michaelc

Hi Everybody,

I've got a weird problem that has me beat.

My Camera & NVR setup at home is a little "different". I've got a handful of Hikvision cameras (7) around my house and I use iVMS-4200 and the recently depreciated Storage Server on a Win7 64 machine as my NVR. I have Storage Server running as a service so it will start up if the machine crashes and reboots so I can keep recording video even without iVMS-4200 running. My storage drives are a pair of 4TB WD Purples running in RAID1. This setup has proven to be quite reliable over the last few years.

Recently I have been playing around with the HiLookVision software on my office PC as a quick and easy way to bring up all my cameras on my second monitor in the office. I've added the Storage Server as a device and with this I can also search and play video from Storage Server in my office. The HiLookVision UI reminds me of an older version of iVMS-4200 and it is very easy to use. This setup does work very well... with one exception!

For some reason, recorded/stored video from one of my cameras just won't play ball on HiLookVision. All my other cameras work fine, I can select a day/date, drag the camera to the desired Remote Playback window and it works perfectly, playing back the recorded video from the date selected.

If I try to search for video on the troublesome camera I get a popup window that says "Playback Failed! Error Code HiLookVision.exe[317} (no record file found)". I get the same error when I drag the camera to the Remote Playback window.

When I go to my NVR PC and check, there is most certainly video recorded from the camera in question stored on Storage Server. I can search for and play it back without issues with iVMS-4200.

I've been through my configurations dozens of times and I just can't see why video from this one camera is unable to be searched or played back.

Is there anyone else in here using the unusual combination of HiLookVision and Storage Server, or am I the only one!? :) I'm open to suggestions as to what I am missing or doing wrong

Regards,

Michael.

Last edited:
Hmm that's an odd one - same CODEC e.g. h.265 or whatever in use on all the cameras?

Hmm that's an odd one - same CODEC e.g. h.265 or whatever in use on all the cameras?
Yes. the CODEC is the same between cameras that work and the one that doesn't.

The one that doesn't work is an older DS-2CD2342WD-I, but I have another four of them that work OK. These all use H.264. I've also got two DS-2CD2365G1-I that are using H.265 and these also work perfectly.

It is a head scratcher for sure. I'm about to install HiLookVision on another PC and see what happens.

I worked out what was wrong!

For some reason the Storage Server in the Storage Schedule page setting was not selected for the camera in question. I don't know how this happened as changing this setting in HiLookVision gets mirrored in the equivalent iVMS-4200 configuration. They became un-synchronised. I imagine that both iVMS-4200 and HiLookVision have to be running at the same time for this synchronization to happen.

The only thing that I don't know now (and will take some more investigation), is do the same events from my cameras get stored twice on the Storage Server when I'm running both iVMS-4200 and HiLookVision at the same time. I hope not :)

Regards,

Michael.

Last edited:
Back