01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using NVR and IP cams for timelapse recording

Luigi

Hi,

I am completely new to NVR's and IP cams, just starting to get acquainted a bit with the terminology.
Currently I do not have an NVR or IP cams, I am using old mobile phones and a PC for my homemade time-lapse setup.

I want to record periodic snapshots (e.g. every 1/2/3/5 seconds) from 2 camera's which are sitting at my windows.
At the end of the day I am compiling these images into a time-lapse movie.

My current setup is doing exactly that, fully automated, but the mobile phones are unreliable (stop recording) and have a tendency of breaking down eventually when sitting in direct sunlight in the summer time.
So I would like to have a solution where the camera's are simpler and more reliable, and where my system is not dependent on my PC for storing the images 24/7.

Would I be able to do following with a (cheap) NVR + IP cams:

- Record periodic snapshots (e.g. 3 seconds) from the camera's on the NVR storage
(Would I need specific type of IP-cam? Would it need to have local SD-card? Or would the snapshots be done on the NVR?)

- Access the recorded images directly from my PC (copy them to my PC using script)

Are these basic functions that every NVR-system can do or do I need to look for specific features?

ftp / time-lapse functionality is standard to pretty much all IP cameras now.
Just configure the schedule and interval, and tell the camera where you want to send/save the images.
You'll end-up with a folder full of time-stamped stills which you will then need to process into a time-lapse movie.
(no need for an NVR - can use microSD in the camera or send to NAS/server)

Okay, thanks, that would be great. Like I said, I don't have a camera yet and it is very difficult to find the specs & features, especially when buying in China.

The (first) camera will be arriving soon, hopefully can configure it like you said.

Cheers,
Luigi

Back