01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Video Motion Detection (VMD)

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Video Motion Detection was invented back in the day when hard drives were tiny, as a means of getting multiple cameras to provide recorded coverage for a reasonable number of days on small/expensive hard drives (HDDs).
We don't recommend it.
It is still so far from a perfect art.
You will spend a lot of time trying to perfect the settings.
You will never achieve perfection.
You are likely to receive notifications about things that you are not interested in, and not receive notifications about things that you really wanted to know about!
You may find it quite challenging to configure the setup to detect and send you emails.

We always recommend continuous recording for security applications.
You can then be sure that you will miss nothing.
Hard drives are no longer small nor expensive.
Even 'edge recording' to a memory card inside the camera now typically gives you up to 64GB of space on a micro-SD card.

If you absolutely must use VMD then please buy an Axis IP camera.
They are the simplest to configure VMD with.
Their latest models have the most accurate detection.

Great explanation,
PIR motion sensor allows you to detect motion . This is known as Passive infrared because they do not radiate any energy for detecting purpose. When it detects the change in IR radiations and hence this move.

Continuous Detection ensures that you have it all on record.
HOWEVER : that means adding a lot of 'pollution' when you only need movement detection...
Movement detection can be done at the camera level (Samsung SNV-7080R for example).
When you have multiple (5) cameras on a home network, why add extra traffic, when you already have several computers, ipads, iphones, ip phones, TV...
Continuous Detection means that each camera will send a full resolution flow continuously to a network video recorder (NVR). When accessing the NVR you will require it to perform a Search for 'Movement', and that weeds out 99% of the recording which is totally not needed.

When recording movement directly from the camera to an SD on the camera, you don't even need an VNR: you just need to connect to the camera !

You can also use Mocord in Zoneminder that will record fulltime while also highlighting motion detection in alarm frames. That way you can scroll through all your recorded events while looking for those alarmed frames. Makes it easier to see when there is motion while recording fulltime in case it did not detect something.

http://www.zoneminder.com/

Thanks,

Nate

Here is a typical problem when the following conditions are met:
- the cameras are OUTSIDE
- Motion Detection is ON
- it is a SUNNY day with PASSING CLOUDS.

Every time a cloud hides the sun, there is a sudden light drop... and Motion Recording starts.
Under such weather conditions, Motion Recording gets completely out of control...

Does anyone know of a camera setting to avoid this ? I have reduced the Motion Sensitivity level to "Low", but it is not really useful.

Thanks
Henry

I agree, but almost only in outdoor conditions, or ground floor of retail floors. (Car headlights trigger the motion)

Other than that I can not think of a major disadvantage to motion recording of CCTV Cameras.

Henry, I think with current technologies that is inevitable.
Change in light levels usually mean MOTION TRIGER!

To get round this problem you need to have a motion detection program which records not on movement but alert. The alert being movement after x seconds. I use iSPY connect, ive set it to record on alert, the alert being movement for 2 seconds, it also the records the previous 4 seconds. Of course all of this happens only in the motion detection area.So, sun going in and out, takes about 2 seconds, no recording of that, that's good, cars going past my house and shining headlights on my drive, usually takes less than 2 seconds so no recording of that. A person walking along my drive takes about 4 seconds so i get a recording of that plus the 2 seconds leading up to that event.

Very good idea. I think that's a iSPY feature. Most DVRs don't have an alert feature! Very handy thou.

And what about moving shades ?... This is when you have sun +a tree with branches and leaves + some wind. The shade shows on the pavement which is in the detection area...
The shade "continuously moves" on the ground because of the wind and generates a Movement Detection...
The recording software should "eliminate" the moving shades and only trigger when a "non transparent" object enters the detection area. I would like to know if your software does this also !
Thanks.

Yes the software can "learn" apparently. It's also possible to eliminate certain shades/colours and luminosities. Also number plate recognition is available. Also how many objects are in the picture. It's also possible to set for when there is NO motion detection, ie, where a place is meant to be busy but then for some reason becomes empty, ie a building being evacuated or whatever.
http://www.ispyconnect.com/
I've set it up so that all the motion detection videos are stored in my Gdrive folder (it's like dropbox) that folder can then be seen by me on my phone using the Gdrive app. All for free.

What I want from my IP camera set up is continuous and motion detected events flagged. In this way I can just view the motion events though the software does need to be able to mark them so the segment can be identified.
My first cam arrives in a week or so. Any thoughts on a suitable software to do this? Thanks.

This erroneous motion detection is what I am having problems with as well. Initially I figured I was better off with areas set for motion detection around my house but what I seem to be getting is a "freeze frame" effect with a bunch of missed footage. I would like to set up continuous recording instead of the motion detection but I don't know how as I am just figuring the software out.

Here is a typical problem when the following conditions are met:
- the cameras are OUTSIDE
- Motion Detection is ON
- it is a SUNNY day with PASSING CLOUDS.

Every time a cloud hides the sun, there is a sudden light drop... and Motion Recording starts.
Under such weather conditions, Motion Recording gets completely out of control...

Does anyone know of a camera setting to avoid this ? I have reduced the Motion Sensitivity level to "Low", but it is not really useful.

Thanks
Henry
I think VDM is meant for special occasions, like a inside safe box, a closed shop at night to prevent thives. Maybe motion recording is not suitable for outside, too many unexpected interferences.

Back