01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

What pairs are actually needed to power a Hikvision Cam

Moreno5

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with a new setup in a house we have just moved into while trying to install an NVR with IP cams.

The house already has ethernet cable in the walls and has some going outside to various places where cameras were situated by the previous owner (he converted them at the end to BNC) and then all cables go back to a rack in the garage to which I have installed a Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2. I have converted the cables back to RJ45.

I have tested the cable in the wall and am only getting 1,2,3,4 & 6 as working inside the ethernet. After plugging this into the NVR and the DS-2CD2385G1 I am not getting any power to the camera and no lights are lit on the back of the NVR to show data transmission etc.

Its obvious the ethernet is damaged somehow as I have also tried to replace the RJ45 connections at both ends to no avail. Is their any way I can still use this cable to both power and transmit data back and fourth?

Hopefully this is clear.

thanks,

Quoting from Wikipedia:

Shared cable[edit]​

See also: Category 5 cable § Shared cable
10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX require only two pairs (pins 1–2, 3–6) to operate. Since common category 5 cable has four pairs, it is possible to use the spare pairs (pins 4–5, 7–8) in 10- and 100-Mbit/s configurations for other purposes. The spare pairs may be used for power over Ethernet (PoE), for two plain old telephone service (POTS) lines, or for a second 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX connection. In practice, great care must be taken to separate these pairs as 10/100-Mbit/s Ethernet equipment electrically terminates the unused pins.[citation needed] Shared cable is not an option for Gigabit Ethernet as 1000BASE-T requires all four pairs to operate.

Thanks Phil.

So am I right in saying that if I only used 1,2,3 & 6 I would need to power the camera separatel?

Quoting from Wikipedia:

Shared cable[edit]​

See also: Category 5 cable § Shared cable
10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX require only two pairs (pins 1–2, 3–6) to operate. Since common category 5 cable has four pairs, it is possible to use the spare pairs (pins 4–5, 7–8) in 10- and 100-Mbit/s configurations for other purposes. The spare pairs may be used for power over Ethernet (PoE), for two plain old telephone service (POTS) lines, or for a second 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX connection. In practice, great care must be taken to separate these pairs as 10/100-Mbit/s Ethernet equipment electrically terminates the unused pins.[citation needed] Shared cable is not an option for Gigabit Ethernet as 1000BASE-T requires all four pairs to operate.

I have a hikvision ds-2cd2042wd-i 4mp camera my cat 6 cable has a split pair error 1/2. Can I replace pair 1/2 with another unused pair. I am running PoE with a DS-7604NI-E1/4P

Hello!! Has anyone even managed to get this resolved?

I have 1 wire in the strand broken (no 2) somewhere and was hoping there are some spares in the strand of 8 that can be substituted...

I also also trying to find a diagramme for POE IP Hikvision Camera that shows what each actual wire in the strang of 8 is being used for but seems not easy to find at all..

thank you very much in advance!

Is the below diagramme is correct, then the wires 4/5 and 7/8 can be "linked" together and used for power only (i.e. in essence only 1 wire will be used for power instead of 2 hence likely to limit range/distance but should not be an issue for short cable runs?

Screenshot_20230115-151749.png

Back