01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

What system do you recommend?

Vauxfan

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
Hi all. Sorry I'm new here so excuse me if I'm in the wrong section.
I'm looking at upgrading my current system. Swann dvr4 4550 with 4x 1080p bullet cameras.
I had swann 720p before and was always happy enough. Well until recently with the images the new ring systems produce.
I don't want wireless or wi fi

I was looking at the swann 8780 nvr with 4k ultra hd twin spotlight thermal cameras.
What do you recommend. I wanted colour night vision but having spotlights seems to be acceptable.

I see hikvision seems to be the make most on here talk about but it's not really come up on any Internet searches for best cctv. Always seems to be the wi fi variants from arlo and ring etc.

I'm really stuck as to my next move

Hi @Vauxfan

We mainly work with professional IP CCTV brands so we wouldn't recommend the consumer Swann range.

For a 4 camera system we would recommend Hikvision, if you want to stick to the bullet style then we would recommend the DS-2CD2045FWD-I 4MP Mini Bullet. If you are not attached to a specific style of camera then we would recommend the DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP Turret cameras for the best all-round day/night performance.

For recording, if you are not planning to have more than 4 cameras you can use a DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) 4-channel NVR will be ok, but if you think you may expand the system in the future then we would recommend the DS-7608NI-I2/8P 8-channel NVR.

If my criteria is as follows
App to view live and recorded footage
Good resolution as must very clear.
Verififocal lense ( do I need this)
Colour night vision or motion spot lights incorporated to give colour at night.
8 camera unit that will only have 4 cameras but more if I decide to

Does any set up you suggested have the above to make a complete system.

Depends on your budget but if you go for the market leader Hikvision:

App to view live and recorded footage -------------------------------------------- Hik-connect app
Good resolution as must very clear. ------------------------------------------------ 4MP ColorVu 24/7 colour
Verififocal lense ( do I need this) ---------------------------------------------------- not really necessary, the ColorVu range does not currently have them
Colour night vision or motion spot lights incorporated to give colour at night. -- 4MP ColorVu
8 camera unit that will only have 4 cameras but more if I decide to --------------- if budget allows, DS-760NI-I2

The ds760 nvr seems a little cheaper than the swann 8780 nvr so that's good.
The cameras though if I need colorvu would be the 4k colorvu. These seem to be where the big money is at. Swanns 4k thermal camera ( with out night colour) but with spots and thermal is just over £10₩ and the colorvu is £200

Hi @Vauxfan

Do you have a link to the specs for the Swann cameras?

If they claim to support thermal (which I doubt for £100) then it is likely they will also have a massively reduced resolution when using that thermal sensor because we know of professional brand thermal IP cameras which are £800-£1000 and deliver a thermal image which is less than 720p.

Thanks,

looking at the spec it says the cameras are "thermal sensing" which means they use built-in PIR (Passive Infrared) sensors to pick up temperature changes in the scene to trigger smart events, this PIR sensor will not affect the night image you get from the camera.

They claim colour visibility up to 60m at night with ambient lighting (e.g. street lights, floodlights etc...) but they don't state the detail you would get at that distance and with a 90+ degree field of view there definitely is going to be little to no detail at that distance. (you would be looking at a range more like 20-30m at most for good detail)

We have no experience with these exact models but based on our previous experience with customers who have come to us complaining about Swann and given the number of forum posts here that are praising the ColorVu performance I would still recommend the ColorVu cameras.

I knew the range would not be anywhere near the colour range they claim.
The swann are not night ones but infact use the spots to light up the area of concern, hence turning night to day.

I like the sound of the colorvu. You have almost sold me this set up. My drive is 15 meters and holds 2 car lengths. I have a street light infant of my house ( led bulb)
If it were you. What would you opt for with my criteria It needs to see colour at night. It needs 4k or dies it? I have currently 1 at the front. 2 at the side and 1 at the back. They are all black and white at night. Image is reasonably good at day and OK at night. But feels outdated being 1080p
I need to check it on my smartphone as well.

This guy reviewed the swann. I just don't want to waste money if I can get better for the same or a little more.

I've just watched the video of the colorvu 4mp second generation vs darkfinder and I have to say it looks really good. Is 4mp acceptable today over 4k.
Does the 7608ni nvr hook up to a TV as a monitor via hdmi and use it change all the settings, is the unit quiet in operation and Can it be in a bedroom environment?

Is this camera OK

4MP HIKVISION DS-2CD2047G2-LU​

To use with this unit

Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2​

Would that be a good set up?

Last edited:
Hi @Vauxfan

Yes, for distances of 15m or less like the drive area you have described above the 4MP models should be fine and we would recommend using the G2 cameras with the 7608NI-I2/8P I-series 8-channel NVR.

The 7608 NVR supports connecting either a VGA or HDMI monitor and all of the regularly used camera settings are accessible via a direct monitor. (some initial setup settings like image settings may require accessing the cameras directly with a browser, but once set to how you want these should not have to be changed all that often, if at all)

That's great thanks. I think I'm starting to understand a lot more than I did a few days ago.

Reactions: Dan
I dont know how well the Swan system works but I did once have the rather expensive Arlo pro 2 system. Dont be fooled by selling hype of heat sensor technology, as already been said its just PIR which is better that pixel based motion detection in many cases but is not fool proof. The Arlo uses PIR and constantly kept triggering from other cars, animals and insects all night long. This is why I went the BlueIris route as it deals with size, distance of an object with helps with some of the limitations of pixel-based motion detection.

Hikvision so far has been the only camera using its in-built motion detection by means of Acusence technology that triggers significantly more true positive alerts. The Colovu Acusence cameras combine some serious technology made for professional installs, not consumer systems that offer more confidence in knowing you have cameras over their practicality in catching someone or providing footage of use for the police with night footage.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. It all helps.

Back