01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect What's the difference between a DVR+Camera and an NVR+IP Camera setup when my purpose is for online viewing through the Hik-Connect app?

batdamon92

I planned on getting an NVR+IP Camera setup for the purpose of viewing my store online through the Hik-Connect app. But while I was looking for NVRs online, I happened to see a Hikvision DVR that claimed the live feed could be accessed through the Hik-Connect app.

So now I'm a bit confused, what exactly is the difference between an NVR and DVR setup if my purpose is to check the live feed from multiple cameras connected to them? Apart from the fact that the ip camera could be connected independently through the App compared to the standard camera.

You can access either via the App/Hik-Connect.
The differences are now those of the cameras and their cabling e.g. one use cat5/6, the other uses co-ax cables.
Resolutions will also differ, although analogue (HD over co-ax) cameras are now available up to 8MP.

You can access either via the App/Hik-Connect.
The differences are now those of the cameras and their cabling e.g. one use cat5/6, the other uses co-ax cables.
Resolutions will also differ, although analogue (HD over co-ax) cameras are now available up to 8MP.

That's so nice to hear because I've created a cost breakdown of the two setups I wanted and was blown away by the price difference:

1. DVR: DS-7204HGHI-F1 (720P) - $42
2. Camera: HIKVISION DS-2CE56H0T-ITMF (5MP) - $64 for 2pcs
Total: $106

1. NVR: Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P (1080P) - $85
2. Camera: Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-IS (4MP) - $170 for 2pcs
Total: $255

I have a few more questions though since this is my first time touching dvr/nvrs:

1. Would the specific dvr I chose work fine with Hik-Connect app? How does it show up on the app? Is it as a dvr/nvr device listed among my separate cameras and if I double click it, I'll get the two feeds connected? Or will the connected cameras be among the devices and not the video recorder? Because on my app since the cameras run independently, they show up as separate cameras and could be stitched together with other cameras. Oh wait I think this video answered my question (youtube.com/watch?v=CyvggDHc75E).

2. Also I have another question regarding the dvr/nvr's resolutions, it's just from their own output right? Like if I connected it to a tv/monitor? If I were to view the live feed from the app, will I still get the camera's resolution that I setup the camera with? (2560 × 1944 in my case for the 5mp one).

3. Also, is there any potential lag/time skips when multiple devices use a single drive? I get a few from my ip cameras with their own memory cards from time to time, not much of a deal break as it's only a few seconds/1-2 minutes but just wondering if there's some major outages with using a single storage?

Again, thank you so much for your help, I'm pretty new to the world of cctvs and I'm glad an extremely experienced user is helping me out.

We know very little about DVRs, because we only offer IP cameras and NVRs.

Be aware that the 720p resolution stated for the DVR that you quote is about 1.3MP e.g. very low resolution - it takes me back ten years!

The NVR that you cite is also an old model that is no longer sold - you should be looking at models with either a -K or a -I suffix nowadays. With an older NVR you will run into compatibility issues and hit limits on the maximum resolution of the cameras you can connect/manage.

For your questions 2 and 3, it's all about bandwidth. A modern NVR, with adequate bandwidth and the latest CODECs e.g. h.265+ and you will not run into lag or other problems even with the highest resolution cameras (which is commonly 8MP/4K currently).

We know very little about DVRs, because we only offer IP cameras and NVRs.

Be aware that the 720p resolution stated for the DVR that you quote is about 1.3MP e.g. very low resolution - it takes me back ten years!

The NVR that you cite is also an old model that is no longer sold - you should be looking at models with either a -K or a -I suffix nowadays. With an older NVR you will run into compatibility issues and hit limits on the maximum resolution of the cameras you can connect/manage.

For your questions 2 and 3, it's all about bandwidth. A modern NVR, with adequate bandwidth and the latest CODECs e.g. h.265+ and you will not run into lag or other problems even with the highest resolution cameras (which is commonly 8MP/4K currently).

Oh wow you saved me on that horrible dvr choice, I initially thought that those resolutions mentioned on dvrs were merely the output I would get from the dvr's display. I probably would be getting this dvr instead HIKVISION DS-7204HUHI-K1. I'll try asking the guys at cctv forum, I think I saw a dvr category there. Thank you so much again for clearing so much stuff, really appreciate it!

Back