01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Where Can I Find Help with Setting up my Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR?

Vauxfan

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I'm just about to hit buy on the 12/8p unit. Is there an idiots set up guide for this. I've looked the how 2 and can't see it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. I'm going to be building my system over the next couple of months.
I plan on the DS-7608NI-I2/8p
Westerndigital purple 3tb hd
4k 8mp colorvu bullet camera 4mm lense for driveway
4mp colorvu mini bullet for front cross section of garden and drive

Then a couple of 4mp turret colourvu for rear garden and porch vues

Last edited:
Hi @Vauxfan

The basic setup is explained in the below forum threads:

There will also be a setup guide in the NVR box and if you purchase the NVR from us at use-IP you can always contact us via email for 1-to-1 help.

Can anyone tell me if these units are quiet in operation. Bed room environment please.

Can anyone tell me if these units are quiet in operation. Bed room environment please.
Unfortunately they're not. The fans will disturb you. You'll find numerous posts regarding swapping out the fans for "silent" ones. While replacement fans are indeed silent by comparison - the noise returns when you refit the lid, as 90% of the noise is not from the fan itself but from the airflow passing through the perforate lid.

I'd look to install the NVR out of the way where the noise won't bother you. I have mine in a loft space above with a longer HDMI lead to my TV and I use a wireless mouse to control it. If it needs to be further away from your control and viewing position (more than 10m), you can get a HDMI extender that works over CAT5E cable and that also will carry USB mouse signals for control.

Is it safe in a loft environment? Cold / hot. Spiders webs and excess dust.

Is it safe in a loft environment? Cold / hot. Spiders webs and excess dust.
The specified operating temperature is -10 to +55 degrees Celsius so no issues there. I've seen less very little dust accumulation on/in mine and I wouldn't think twice about installing one in a loft. You can get enclosures for them if it were of concern but it's not really necessary. When I do a service I tend to take the lid off the NVR and give them a quick blast out with a can of compressed air - no more than 5 mins work. They certainly don't accumulate dust the way a PC tower does.

The specified operating temperature is -10 to +55 degrees Celsius so no issues there. I've seen less very little dust accumulation on/in mine and I wouldn't think twice about installing one in a loft. You can get enclosures for them if it were of concern but it's not really necessary. When I do a service I tend to take the lid off the NVR and give them a quick blast out with a can of compressed air - no more than 5 mins work. They certainly don't accumulate dust the way a PC tower does.
Have you got photo of how or what you have sat it on. I have power in the loft and the current wires run up into the loft at that point so the holes are already there.

Have you got photo of how or what you have sat it on. I have power in the loft and the current wires run up into the loft at that point so the holes are already there.
It depends how your loft is laid out - mine is a shallow gable end extension. On two adjacent diagonal trusses I fastened short horizontal pieces of wood - that allowed me to cut a piece of ply/mdf to sit between those two diagonal trusses. You could just as easily fasten a sheet of board directly across the ceiling joists or raise that board with a couple of up stands to keep the NVR above the fibreglass. I've also seen installations where the NVR had been fitted flat to the wall on a piece of board (you could source the rack mount brackets and fit them 90 degrees rotated to facilitate that) It's in the loft so it doesn't need to look great - as long as it's not buried and you can access it from time to time if necessary. Something else I sometimes do is leave a standard USB A extension plugged in with the female end dropping through the ceiling somewhere convenient (airing cupboard/wardrobe). If you ever needed to put footage on a USB stick it's handy to not have to go in the loft and it saves exporting it to a PC first.

Last edited:
Second option is my towel cupboard. I could rig up a shelve and run wires up to the loft though the vm box already there ( below left) only need to run a hdmi to the TV then.

Attachments

• 20210306_103947.jpg
    20210306_103947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 244
  • 20210306_104012.jpg
    20210306_104012.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
Second option is my towel cupboard. I could rig up a shelve and run wires up to the loft though the vm box already there ( below left) only need to run a hdmi to the TV then.
Yeah even better, you could just put an additional shelf 100 - 150mm under the lowest one so you're close to your power.

PS: I can't work out the second pic but is someone inside that coat with a very long head!

Ha. No. Its a coat on a door.
The picture was to demonstrate how close the towel cupboard is to the room.

Attachments

• 20210306_103947.jpg
    20210306_103947.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 218
  • 20210306_104012.jpg
    20210306_104012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 234
What cameras are you using? Do you have a snap shot of your picture quality?

Can you hear your nvr in the loft from the room below it?

Last edited:
What cameras are you using? Do you have a snap shot of your picture quality?
I have nine cameras and various models and ages. My recommendation would be the DS-2CD23x6G2 AcuSense models or the newer DS-2CD2347G2 ColorVu model (which also has AcuSense). There'll be a few snapshots kicking around in my posts but a still image won't really show you much. No I can't hear the NVR in the loft.

It's always a difficult choice and the question over which model is "best" comes up frequently on the forum. On one hand the 23x6G2 has AcuSense, is available in both 4 and 8 megapixel versions and is available with both microphone and speaker - but uses infra red for nighttime. On the other hand the ColorVu is full time colour, also now has AcuSense but is only available in 4 megapixel (in turret form at least), needs some ambient light unless you can put up with the annoying death ray white LED's and as yet there's not a model with microphone and speaker (just microphone). There's not one model that ticks every box for me. I lean toward the 2346/2386 at the moment but if a DS-2CD2347G2-ISU/SL ever becomes available the decision will be even more difficult.

Last edited:
There are definitely some curve balls now. The fan noise. The lack of 4k.
The positives are the 4mm lenses and build quality including colorvu.
So I am stuck with a dilemma. I thought I had decided on the hikvision but the swann now has me second guessing.
Positives are 4k ultra hd. 2 way microphones. Spots and also has colour at night with ambient light.
Negatives are build quality compared and only available with 2.8 mm lenses.

There are definitely some curve balls now. The fan noise. The lack of 4k.
The positives are the 4mm lenses and build quality including colorvu.
So I am stuck with a dilemma. I thought I had decided on the hikvision but the swann now has me second guessing.
Positives are 4k ultra hd. 2 way microphones. Spots and also has colour at night with ambient light.
Negatives are build quality compared and only available with 2.8 mm lenses.
Fan noise I'd not worry about. Most systems have a fan apart from a few of the 4 channel HDTVI systems. I wouldn't let it put you off - just put the NVR in the cupboard or loft. It would annoy you if it was in your room so best you know now rather than have to move it later, as whatever people say about the silent fans they don't remove the noise completely (unless you leave the lid off!). I'm sat in my living room now with the I series 2 metres away from my ears in the roof space........silence.

4K - Two choices:

1 - Get the DS-2CD2386 (IU for one way, ISU/SL for two way audio) as I detailed above if 4K is a must. With a few tweaks and a little light you can get it to stay in colour all night - albeit with some visible noise.

2 - If you must have ColorVu you can get a 4K model but not in turret format for now (not sure whether that'll change).

The Hikvision range constantly expands, you'll never have the latest model because as soon as you buy it, something newer and better will be released within months.

The Swann would be the equivalent of Hikvision Hi Look/Hi Watch. I wouldn't waste your money on that - it's not up to the same standard so even if it has all the features you want, it ultimately won't be as good.

Cheers mate. I just want to hear the nvr running so I get an idea of the noise level. Then I will know where I can put it.
I'm always worried about electrics in the loft. Always worry if it's too hot or too cold and any dust / moisture.

Cheers mate. I just want to hear the nvr running so I get an idea of the noise level. Then I will know where I can put it.
I'm always worried about electrics in the loft. Always worry if it's too hot or too cold and any dust / moisture.
It just depends on who's listening. I've had customers before who couldn't live with it in the same room and it's had to be moved and I've had others who didn't ever mention it. If it's in the same room though - once you hear it, you'll zone in on it and it'll be unbearable. You won't have an issue with dust, heat or moisture.

This is what is behind the box. I just need to figure out what the cables are.

Attachments

• 20210307_172711.jpg
    20210307_172711.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 216
This is what is behind the box. I just need to figure out what the cables are.
That is just a Virgin Media shotgun cable - comprising an RG6 coax which could be for an upstairs TiVo box if it's in the airing cupboard and a CW1308 telephone cable - looks like the telephone line has been split off to another location (upstairs extension?) while the coax loops through. You shouldn't need to use that box for anything should you though?

No. I was going to run my ethenet cables in to the loft if it went upwards but it goes the other way.

Back