01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Where do I find my NVR's serial number for entering into HikConnect?

gp116126

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I am a bit confused and once again assistance would be appreciated. I have in the past had HiK Connect working fine but now after a period of enforced offline activity need to set things up again.

The advice here says to;

"add your NVR to that account - using the 9-digit serial number on your NVR is simplest.

NB - the 9-digit serial number that you need is shown on the product label on the device AND on the retail box (it is a separate 9-digit serial number, all numbers, NOT a part of the device's main serial number)"

My NVR has "Serial No: C12345678" (for example) both on the box and on the NVR. The NVR has no other 9 digit number only, sequence on it. The box has another 9 digit number named "Material Code".

Inputting the Serial No into the Add Device function of my HiK-connect.com account brings up the message "the device is offline. No search results found". Inputting the Material Code number returns "No device is found. Make sure that the serial No. is correct and the device is connected properly". So I am presuming that the C12345678 code is the correct one as its not saying its a wrong code, even though it has a letter at the start rather than being all numbers as per Forum Advice note.

DNS settings on the NVR are correct and Platform Access enabled but the device is as per HIKconnect.com showing offline.

NVR is connected by cable to router that has internet access. I can access my NVR from a PC within my network.

Advice would be appreciated as ot how to get this back online as I am stumped.

PS. Also tried the QR Code route but this failed as well.

Solution
Login to the NVR with a browser and go to:

Configuration > System > System settings. You'll see the full serial number there. Ignore the letters on the end (mine ends WCVU) and count back 9. It'll be one letter and 8 numbers - mine starts D
Login to the NVR with a browser and go to:

Configuration > System > System settings. You'll see the full serial number there. Ignore the letters on the end (mine ends WCVU) and count back 9. It'll be one letter and 8 numbers - mine starts D

Upvote 1
Solution
Hello Kyle

For some reason I can't find the other thread I created about this issue to which you replied with the below.

-------------------------------------------------

Hi @gp116126

The C12345678 is the serial number that you need to be using.
Could you share a screenshot of the platform access page for the NVR and also one of the SADP tool when you run it showing the recorder, please?

Make sure that the Gateway for the unit is set to your router's IP address - it may also be worth trying a different IP address for the NVR itself (you can change these in SADP).

----------------------------------------------------

Therefore I have replied on this thread instead. Your help would be appreciated.

1. Screenshot of Platform Access Page attached wthout Encryption Code showing but I do have one set.

NVR Platform Access.jpg

2. SADP screenshot showing NVR attached. SADP ran from a PC within my network over wifi not connected to one of the NVR ports.

SADP.jpg

3. The IPV4 Gateway is 192.168.0.1. From the GUI withinn the router I can see the NVR connected under its IP address 192.168.0.29

4. I have also attached screenshot of the message I still get when entering the NVR seriial number into HIKConnect.com. the dots are replacing the actial SN of the NVR that you confirmed is correct.

HIK Connect.com.jpg

As yet I have not attempted ot change the IP of the NVR as you suggested.

Grateful to receive your further advice.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Well, had another go today.

Checked all settings and still not joy.

NVR platform access page says "offline" and when I use scan the QR Code on the NVR it accepts it but cannot connect, says "check internet connection".
  • NVR IP address is in the same range as my network.
  • Its hardwired to the router and there are no conflicts.
  • I changed the IP just in case (Kyle, suggestion 4) to another one.
  • IPv4 Gateway is the same as my router.
  • DNS Server set to 8.8.8.8 and the alternative is 8.8.4.4 Have also tried others.
  • Platform Access is enabled.
  • Set a new encryption key.
  • Went into router settings and confirmed that the NVR is connected on both the old and new IP.
  • Pinged dev.eu.hik-connect.com from a laptop and all okay. Did the same for dev.hik-connect.com, results ok also.
Stumped.

Hikvision tutorial says do an NVR reset. Will do it but would first appreciate anyone pointing out what I am missing, if anything.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Well, had another go today.

Checked all settings and still not joy.

NVR platform access page says "offline" and when I use scan the QR Code on the NVR it accepts it but cannot connect, says "check internet connection".
  • NVR IP address is in the same range as my network.
  • Its hardwired to the router and there are no conflicts.
  • I changed the IP just in case (Kyle, suggestion 4) to another one.
  • IPv4 Gateway is the same as my router.
  • DNS Server set to 8.8.8.8 and the alternative is 8.8.4.4 Have also tried others.
  • Platform Access is enabled.
  • Set a new encryption key.
  • Went into router settings and confirmed that the NVR is connected on both the old and new IP.
  • Pinged dev.eu.hik-connect.com from a laptop and all okay. Did the same for dev.hik-connect.com, results ok also.
Stumped.

Hikvision tutorial says do an NVR reset. Will do it but would first appreciate anyone pointing out what I am missing, if anything.

Cheers
How is the network set up? If you've not port forwarded the router (which you don't have to) - have you enabled UPnP in the Network > NAT settings of the NVR and made sure that UPnP is also enabled in your router? If no port forwarding has been set UPnP needs to be set on both the NVR and router (most routers have it on by default)

The table will show if the port mapping is working (mine all shows invalid as I have it disabled and use port forwarding instead)

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 20.06.00.png

Upvote 0
Hello JB

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Router does have UPnP enabled.

Looked at the UPnP settings on the NVR and it was enabled but in Auto with status Inactive and some different External Ports for each Port Type to what your screenshot shows. Put it into Manual with UPnP enabled and Ports now showing as above and status Valid.

Rebooted NRV and re-enabled platform access unfortunately still offline and won't connect after QR code input.

Screenshot_2021-04-10 Configuration.png
Screenshot_2021-04-10 Configuration(2).png

Upvote 0
Hello JB

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Router does have UPnP enabled.

Looked at the UPnP settings on the NVR and it was enabled but in Auto with status Inactive and some different External Ports for each Port Type to what your screenshot shows. Put it into Manual with UPnP enabled and Ports now showing as above and status Valid.

Rebooted NRV and re-enabled platform access unfortunately still offline and won't connect after QR code input.

View attachment 5591
View attachment 5592

OK. So with regard to the UPnP settings on the NVR. My ports show different just because I've changed them myself from the default ports (I had a lot of illegal login attempts in the logs when using the defaults) but as mentioned I have UPnP switched off in favour of port forwarding. The internal ports in that table will just show whatever they are set to in the network settings, so unless you've changed them you'll see 80, 554, 443 & 8000 as internal. What the external ports will show will depend on whether you set the UPnP Mapping mode to Auto or Manual. If you set it to manual, you can chose to mirror the internal ports or change them to whatever you want. If you set it to auto, the UPnP mechanism will assign random port numbers from a select range.

Is the NVR automatically assigning the custom Hik Connect server address. Mine uses the below (in the UK), though I know others have used other addresses.

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 23.24.20.png

Upvote 0
OK. So with regard to the UPnP settings on the NVR. My ports show different just because I've changed them myself from the default ports (I had a lot of illegal login attempts in the logs when using the defaults) but as mentioned I have UPnP switched off in favour of port forwarding. The internal ports in that table will just show whatever they are set to in the network settings, so unless you've changed them you'll see 80, 554, 443 & 8000 as internal. What the external ports will show will depend on whether you set the UPnP Mapping mode to Auto or Manual. If you set it to manual, you can chose to mirror the internal ports or change them to whatever you want. If you set it to auto, the UPnP mechanism will assign random port numbers from a select range.

Is the NVR automatically assigning the custom Hik Connect server address. Mine uses the below (in the UK), though I know others have used other addresses.

View attachment 5594
Okay JB. Have left UPnP enbaled in auto so it can do its own thing.

Platform acess was assigned to dev.eu.hik-connect.com. Tried litedev.eu, etc with no joy.

Have again also verified ethernet cabling and with laptop connects to internet.

Hello Fullboogie

Thank you for being intersted in this. Tried the us server, no good also.

Upvote 0
Have also downgraded Firmware to the previous version.

Router has allocated correct ports via UPnP

Still showing offline.

All very strange. Good job I don't go out much.

Upvote 0
Have also downgraded Firmware to the previous version.

Router has allocated correct ports via UPnP

Still showing offline.

All very strange. Good job I don't go out much.
It seems that Hik Connect has a mind of its own sometimes. It either works flawlessly first time or causes no end of bother to set up. Just be aware that at some point it'll connect and start working. At that point you'll probably have no idea what you've done that fixed it! I've usually pointed people away from using UPnP in favour of port forwarding but it shouldn't be necessary as your port mapping is showing as valid.

Out of interest have you tried ignoring the usual advice and just letting your router provide DNS rather than setting it to 8.8.8.8? You can set it manually to the router address or just leave the auto DNS box checked. A few years ago, pre Hik Connect when Hikvisions service was HiDDNS, I had a few instances where using 8.8.8.8 actually caused an issue. I found that some ISPs that apply web filtering / child safe settings to the connection would block connections using Googles DNS address (8.8.8.8). Some of these services force all DNS requests through their own DNS server to provide the filtering of content. Manually assigning a different DNS server address was seen as an attempt to get around that web filtering and so was blocked. Are you in the UK and who is your provider? You may be able to just disable the filtering or use the router address (192.168.0.1 for Sky or Virgin, 192.168.1.254 for BT)

Upvote 0
Thanks JB. It's as good call. I had let DHCP and DNS do their thing a few times.

It could be the IP provider. Had issues in the past when their settings even blocked this forum to me. Nevermind. I am sure it's something simple but at the moment can't see it.

Thank you for your help. Sorry if it's took up some if your weekend.

Upvote 0
Well. I am flabbergasted and relieved.

Thought I would add the NVR manually to the app. Put in the SN and bingo, got live feeds.

At first was a bit dubious that it was just pulling the stream over my internal Network so turned WIFI off on my phone and amazingly I still got live feeds.

What a strange one. Can't see whether the NVR still says offline at the mo but hey ho, I don't care.

Upvote 0
Back