01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which camera for number plate reading at night

NigelJ

Hi there

I am looking for guidance over the selection of an outside camera to monitor an access road that passes close by the property where the camera is to be located. I am leaning towards a flat faced turret having viewed your videos. I particularly wish to be able to read the number plates of vehicle passing at night and am aware that reflections from the number plates can burn out the images. Suggestions please!

Hi,
To be able to view/read number plates 24hrs a day e.g. night-time with headlamps on is especially difficult, you need a dedicated number plate camera such as HikVision 4A25 or 4A26 with the ANPR firmware loaded (I believe both become effectively the same camera once that firmware is loaded).

For most installations (unless the camera is particularly close to the vehicle) you will need the longer focal length variant with the 8-32mm zoom lens.
Hikvision DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZS 2MP Lightfighter Smart IP Outdoor Bullet Camera
Hikvision DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS | 2MP Darkfighter IR Array Bullet Network Camera

HikVision NVRs with either a -K or a -I suffix have ANPR plate read/capture software included as standard.

More details on ANPR setup can be found here in the forum:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/search/5229400/?q=ANPR&o=relevance

I too would like a recommendation. I had an attempted theft In this picture I could not take the numberplate but really would have been handy. The Vehicle is the transit with 'Support Vehicle written on the side about 20 meters! Thank you. John

Attachments

• Vivotek.JPG
    Vivotek.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,881
Sorry John, no camera will get a plate read at that angle, ideally you need to be reasonably straight-on to the vehicle/plate.

Thanks for the fast reply, there may have been more opportunity as it drove off reducing the angle. I still may replace the front cam, quite a few years old now and no good at night at all!

Back