01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which cameras and where to install

Stars1

Hi,

After a spate of breakins in the area I’m looking to install some IP Cameras. I need some help on camera selection and location as well as some help on the nvr.

Photos:

1) What cameras would you recommend for this house? I was thinking of the 2385 8mp for the rear?

2) where would the cameras be installed for front and back? For the back I’m thinking somewhere above the French doors possibly just above the light on the right on an arm bracket. I have the ring doorbell 2 so covering the front door is not needed it’s more to watch over the cars and the front.

3) I have a shared access side gate which I’m thinking about possibly installing a camera of some kind. What kind of camera would be best here? And where would it be best placed (possibly above the side gate looking down the alley towards my garden?)

4) which nvr would be recommended? I’m thinking of putting the nvr in the loft (I have no tv in there) but my router is ground floor in the tv room. How do I overcome a patchy signal and what’s the best way of controlling and viewing the nvr on my tv downstairs?

5) apart from cat 6 cable what other equipment/cables etc would be needed? I’m thinking of diy’ing it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hi
We have just replaced our old swann system with Hikvision from Use-ip

NVR DS-7608NI-K2-8P It's an 8 channel nvr. we have the choice to expand it, although there is only 2 channels left, you will also need a hard drive for it WD purple is the way to go
The 2385 is a suberb camera, we have 4 of them ranging from 4mm to 6 mm, not sure you would need a bracket, think that will depend on how you run your cable's, IE inside to out through the walls.
We also have a DS-2CD2342WD-I 12mm 4mp in the ally, maybe ideal for your shared access, and a PTZ over looking the car park.

We installed 3 of the camera's above the upstairs windows, that way it was easier getting the cable into the loft
1 camera (ally) installed high on the side of the house straight into the loft.
The other camera is just below the upstairs bedroom, that way we just run the cable along the skirting and upto the loft

Our Nvr is in the small bedroom and we have a monitor in the room also i bought another monitor that sits in the kitchen, we just bought a 10m long HDMI cable and run that too it.
As for controlling it from downstairs, i'm sure someone will be able to help on that

The key to the install (for me anyway) was planning planning and more planning, don't rush it

If i got stuck at all i got in touch with the staff at use ip who was more then willing to help

I have attached a pic of how our's looks, good luck

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Hi,
2385 is an excellent camera.
Above the RHS lantern would be OK (make sure the light source is not in the fov). Probably a 4mm lens.
For the front - a 2.8mm 2185 mini-dome on an arm at the RHS of your front porch/extension.
7608-I NVR.
A mini-bullet would probably be fine for the side gate; 2035, 2055, 2085 - probably 6mm lens.
Plus an HDD for your NVR - 4TB is a good size for reasonable record duration and any growth.
Then just network cables between the devices.
Powerline extenders work well to extend your network over your mains cabling if you plan to install the NVR in the loft.
To view on your TV you would need to extend an HDMI cable from the loft to the TV.
Most people use their PC/Mac and/or mobile devices with Apps instead.

Thank you both for the advice.

I’ve been thinking about this over the weekend and would it make more sense to move the rear camera to the left side or maybe centrally? of the property where it would video the side gate and the garden? I don’t necessarily need a dedicated video of the side gate.

Phil, I’m not to keen on having an arm on the front, I don’t think it looks all that great. Is there another solution? Also, are turrets not better than the domes?

NVR - would an 8 channel nvr not be overkill for this set up? Is there a good 4 channel nvr?

Great idea on the power lines!

Thanks for all the help. Planning the cable runs now and trying to find the easiest way to get the cable to the loft

I’ve been thinking about this over the weekend and would it make more sense to move the rear camera to the left side or maybe centrally? of the property where it would video the side gate and the garden? I don’t necessarily need a dedicated video of the side gate.
I went with your suggestion. I can't see what would be in the view from any of the proposed mounting positions. Obviously it's best to cover as many points of interest as possible.

Phil, I’m not to keen on having an arm on the front, I don’t think it looks all that great. Is there another solution? Also, are turrets not better than the domes?
The mounting arms enable you to rotate the dome camera under the arm to finely adjust your field of view - not always so easy when you've screwed the camera base flat to the wall.
Turrets have quite powerful IR - up to 30m (90 feet), your area of interest is wide & close. If you used a turret you would need to walk-test and optimise the IR against white-outs (flare back from faces that prevents you seeing any detail).
Also, the mounting position is low, so the VR properties are beneficial.

NVR - would an 8 channel nvr not be overkill for this set up? Is there a good 4 channel nvr?
Their 7604 NVR will work just fine, lots of people use them:
Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P | 4 Channel Network Video Recorder ¦ use-IP Ltd

Only I am increasingly wary that they may not continue to support / develop the -K NVR family:
HikVision NVRs - should I purchase a -I or a -K suffix NVR?
(There is no 4-camera -I NVR)

Back