01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which Hikvision NVR for basic home CCTV with AcuSense?

pt80

Hi, newbie post alert…

Whilst undergoing building work at home, it seems the right time to get some CCTV installed. Although I was only thinking of something quite basic for deterrent purposes, my electrician has pointed me to Hikvision for a wired installation. He has suggested POE to future proof the system and 5x DS-2CD2365G1-I 6MP cameras – I need 5 max (1 covering drive, 1 over front door, 1 at side and 2 at rear). I have started reading up (it seems to be a bit of minefield with the number of options even just with Hik) and by the time I have paid for 5x G1 cameras, an NVR plus professional installation, it would only be a marginal increase to move up to 8MP G2 cameras with AcuSense. Although I only need a relatively basic system, we have a number of neighbouring cats, plus the odd hedgehog who visit our garden, so the AcuSense function to block these out if I want to use the alert notifications would be very useful.

Where I am confused is I have read on one website that if I have AcuSense cameras but not an AcuSense NVR (or vice versa), then I will not get the full AcuSense functionality. Is that true? In which case, which NVR should I be looking at? Would the K series be ok (K1 or K2?), or do I need to go for the I series, which seems a bit excessive for what I need?

Thanks in advance for any help or other input you may have

@pt80 I think 6MP maybe too much. My 4 Hikvision home security cameras are 4MP each and are more than enough to read registration plates (daylight) and pick out faces at 30m. Another thing to consider with high megapixel cameras is the NVR input bandwidth limitation. The user how to guides on this forum are a gold mine of information.

As David has said above stick to 4 megapixel. People mistakenly think that more megapixels equals better picture. Unfortunately trying to squeeze those additional photo sites onto a sensor that size means picture quality suffers in low light. Don't be bamboozled by the terms Darkfighter, Darkfighter Lite, Darkfighter plus, Darkfighter extra special best yet Turbo edition etc. If you look at the Datasheets that specify the minimum illumination you'll find "Darkfighter" models that specify 0.003 lux and others that specify 0.08 lux. The lower megapixel camera will generally perform better in low light. The new AcuSense DS-2CD2346G2 cameras are available now and they have a minimum illumination of 0.003 lux.

The last paragraph regarding AcuSense is completely incorrect. In fact there is no point at all getting a Deep in mind NVR if you're looking at AcuSense cameras. The false alarm filtering is either applied in camera OR on the NVR - you can't use both to double the effect Acusense cameras with the I series recorder is what you need (the I series has the newer GUI and with the latest firmware a human/vehicle filter can be applied in the playback whereas the K series may or may not ever get the latest version 4 GUI)

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far.
So in summary: 4MP should be enough, especially with the new DS-2CD2346G2 (which needs only 0.003 lux), but spend the extra for the I-series NVR to get the better GUI and firmware.

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far.
So in summary: 4MP should be enough, especially with the new DS-2CD2346G2 (which needs only 0.003 lux), but spend the extra for the I-series NVR to get the better GUI and firmware.

Yeah. 4MP should be enough. Check the spec sheets for the viewing angles as they differ between models. A 2.8mm on one model can have a different field of view on another due to being a marginally different sensor size. At 107 degrees on some models, 2.8mm can be too wide and 4mm may be closer to a 90 degree field of view limiting image distortion.

The 2346G2's are available with audio and it's surprisingly good while filtering out wind noise (I have the microphones on my ColorVu) I've been notified that a 2346 model with microphone AND speaker is due within a week or two. I'd definitely use the I series. The GUI is more up to date, has more features and the playback thumbnails work above 3MP (they show "no resource" on the older firmware on 4MP and above)

I've been notified that a 2346 model with microphone AND speaker is due within a week or two.
Is this the one you're referring to? I didn't realise they had any two-way audio cams!:

Is this the one you're referring to? I didn't realise they had any two-way audio cams!:

Yeah that's the one. I've been waiting a couple of months for the 2346G2 to become available, then on the day it does my supplier are showing that one as being available in a week or so. I'll be waiting for that now....

The last paragraph regarding AcuSense is completely incorrect. In fact there is no point at all getting a Deep in mind NVR if you're looking at AcuSense cameras. The false alarm filtering is either applied in camera OR on the NVR - you can't use both to double the effect Acusense cameras with the I series recorder is what you need (the I series has the newer GUI and with the latest firmware a human/vehicle filter can be applied in the playback whereas the K series may or may not ever get the latest version 4 GUI)
I have a question related to this - can I check that if the filtering is done on the camera, it can record 24/7, and when I look at what has been recorded on the NVR, it will show me all footage, but with an indicator of which time periods the camera's Acusense detected as being of interest?

Is this an example of a recorder that will do this with Acusense cameras?

I have a question related to this - can I check that if the filtering is done on the camera, it can record 24/7, and when I look at what has been recorded on the NVR, it will show me all footage, but with an indicator of which time periods the camera's Acusense detected as being of interest?

Is this an example of a recorder that will do this with Acusense cameras?

Yes that I series works that way - it’s how I set mine. I have:

- 24/7 recording
- motion detection filtered to human covering the field of view without notifications as it covers the footpath outside of my property
- line crossing filtered to human covering the approach to my door with notifications

With the above I get an alert if someone approaches the door. I can also click on smart playback for that camera, click the human icon and it will only playback clips where a human is in view (including the footpath, road outside) Additionally you can use the file search, set to human and get a grid/list of every clip where a human was detected.

I'm really sorry resurrecting this thread but I am relatively new to the forum and in the process of upgrading so have been browsing the forums for help, advice and information.

I was also under the impression that if I have AcuSense cameras but not an AcuSense NVR (or vice versa), then I will not get the full AcuSense functionality.
As Hikvision sell the NXI series of AcuSense NVR's, I was thinking If I wanted the AcuSense range I would need both.
Looks like some cctv websies may be giving incorrect information.

I'm guessing though that I would need a better NVR than my current budget HiLook to make AcuSense a worthwhile investment?

Hi @Ianc

You are right to double-check here because the support for AcuSense is confusing. You are also right that there is a range of AcuSense (NXI) NVRs but these are not held in UK stock and the only advantage of these models over the I-series NVRs is that depending on the model the NXI NVRs will allow you apply the AcuSense features to a certain number of non-AcuSense cameras. (this is only really a beneficial feature if you have an existing Hikvision system)

The 2 videos below summarise how the different NVR/Camera setups work:

AcuSense NVR with a normal non-AcuSense Camera
AcuSense Camera with an I-series NVR

Sorry to drag up and old thread.

Am I right to understand that the benefit of using an AcuSense NVR is the ability to use up to 4 non-AcuSense cameras ?

And if we have a system that requires 8 AcuSense-enabled cameras, then I’m potentially better off just replacing the cameras (with AcuSense models) and just using my old NVR ?

Sorry to drag up and old thread.

Am I right to understand that the benefit of using an AcuSense NVR is the ability to use up to 4 non-AcuSense cameras ?

And if we have a system that requires 8 AcuSense-enabled cameras, then I’m potentially better off just replacing the cameras (with AcuSense models) and just using my old NVR ?
Yes that's correct, better to just use the cameras. The AcuSense technology in the camera can perform the filtering, before forwarding the filtered events to the NVR. If you were to get the AcuSense NVR you could only switch the feature on in the NVR for standard cameras or AcuSense cameras that didn't have it enabled - you can't use both to "double" the effect.

There have been various iterations of NVR with AcuSense, Deep in Mind etc. On the higher end model NVRs the algorithm is more powerful/effective than that in the cameras. With the NVRs though, there is generally a restriction on how many channels can have the feature activated according to the maximum resolution of the cameras.

All of the above refers solely to IP systems. With the Hikvision HDTVI systems, as ever, the DVR carries out all of the processing. So AcuSense cameras don't exist for HDTVI cameras - just AcuSense DVR's (models starting iDS)

Yes that's correct, better to just use the cameras. The AcuSense technology in the camera can perform the filtering, before forwarding the filtered events to the NVR. If you were to get the AcuSense NVR you could only switch the feature on in the NVR for standard cameras or AcuSense cameras that didn't have it enabled - you can't use both to "double" the effect.

There have been various iterations of NVR with AcuSense, Deep in Mind etc. On the higher end model NVRs the algorithm is more powerful/effective than that in the cameras. With the NVRs though, there is generally a restriction on how many channels can have the feature activated according to the maximum resolution of the cameras.

All of the above refers solely to IP systems. With the Hikvision HDTVI systems, as ever, the DVR carries out all of the processing. So AcuSense cameras don't exist for HDTVI cameras - just AcuSense DVR's (models starting iDS)

great, thank you so much for the reply!

so off to research which camera would be best for my system!

Hi guys,

Like the others, sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm in a similar situation.
Before I go any further, english in not my main language and I hope you will be forgiving with my mistakes.

Here is my current setting:

I have one camera from Hikvision, the DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL which works very well.
At the beginning, I thought the on-board SD card would suffice (I have a Western Digital Purple 64GB card inserted)...which is not really the case.

In a near future, I could be expending to an other camera but it is very unlikely that I would exceed more than two cameras in total...
So my first NVR choice was initially the Hikvision DS-7604NXI-K1/4P but reading this topic I'm having second thoughts.

It looks like the HikVision DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S(C) could be a better option but in France, the later is almost 4 times more expensive. To be honest I would rather avoid any of the (possible) limitations of the "K" series but I'm under the impression that the "I" series is truly overkill but would really give me the full potential of my camera.
In the mean time, if I get an AcuSense NVR now, the "future" camera(s) could be a "non" Acusense camera.

What are your thoughts ? I'm completely lost now. Sigh.

Thank you for your help.

Hem

Last edited:
So my first NVR choice was initially the Hikvision DS-7604NXI-K1/4P but reading this topic I'm having second thoughts.
There's no issue with that NVR for your cameras and certainly no need to go to the I series for two cameras. I've used them fully populated with four 4 megapixel cameras without issue.

In the mean time, if I get an AcuSense NVR now, the "future" camera(s) could be a "non" Acusense camera.
You could use non Acusense cameras but I wouldn't recommend it. Even when using an NVR with AcuSense built in (NXI) it's best to leave it disabled in the NVR and use the camera to do the processing. Using the camera, you can have AcuSense motion detection, line crossing, intrusion all enabled simultaneously if wanted/needed; however using the NVR you're restricted to AcuSense Motion detection OR line crossing/intrusion for all connected cameras (as the NVR event engine can only do one or the other)

AcuSense in the camera will always trump Acusense in the NVR. Think of the AcuSense NVR's as an easy, cost effective upgrade for someone with an older Hikvision system with standard cameras. That being said, the NXI-K models are also more up to date than the NI-K (non AcuSense) models, so firmware updates are likely to be more frequent. The standard K models don't seem to be available in the UK anymore.

There's no issue with that NVR for your cameras and certainly no need to go to the I series for two cameras. I've used them fully populated with four 4 megapixel cameras without issue.

You could use non Acusense cameras but I wouldn't recommend it. Even when using an NVR with AcuSense built in (NXI) it's best to leave it disabled in the NVR and use the camera to do the processing. Using the camera, you can have AcuSense motion detection, line crossing, intrusion all enabled simultaneously if wanted/needed; however using the NVR you're restricted to AcuSense Motion detection OR line crossing/intrusion for all connected cameras (as the NVR event engine can only do one or the other)

AcuSense in the camera will always trump Acusense in the NVR. Think of the AcuSense NVR's as an easy, cost effective upgrade for someone with an older Hikvision system with standard cameras. That being said, the NXI-K models are also more up to date than the NI-K (non AcuSense) models, so firmware updates are likely to be more frequent. The standard K models don't seem to be available in the UK anymore.

Thanks a lot JB1970 ! But ultimately, could I also get an NON AcuSense NVR since (as you said) it will always be the camera that will do the job ? SHall I stick to the good value of the Hikvision DS-7604NXI-K1/4P and go with the flow ?

Thanks again for your input

Thanks a lot JB1970 ! But ultimately, could I also get an NON AcuSense NVR since (as you said) it will always be the camera that will do the job ? SHall I stick to the good value of the Hikvision DS-7604NXI-K1/4P and go with the flow ?

Thanks again for your input
You could do that, but personally I'd stick with the DS-7604NXI-K1/4P. I think as the AcuSense models are newer models, they'll have more life in them with regard to support and updates. As I mentioned, the DS-7604NI-K1/4P (non AcuSense) is no longer listed on the UK Hikvision site.

Back