01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which Hikvision NVR has Line Crossing (On a low budget)?

DaveTiff

Hi, recently had a garage break in, my home built e-bike was stolen.

Looking to put on CCTV system with a max of 4 cameras. I have played with some cheap web cams before and found standard Frame Difference motion detection to be pretty useless. Trigger all the time.

Crossing Line detection seems a good idea. 2 questions,

Is the Crossing line detection done by the camera or NVR

When is the cheapest 4MP POE NVR that supports Crossing Line, I thought the K series did not unless it has been recently added.

Kind regards, Dave

Hi Dave

The actual line crossing detection is done by the camera, so you need to make sure that you use a camera that supports it. The NVR simply handles/records the smart events in a easily manageable way as well as allowing you to connect external devices to be triggered when the alarm is activated ( such as sirens, PIRs, alarm systems etc.)

The -K series NVR's all support line crossing, so your cheapest option would be a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) | 4 Channel Network Video Recorder. This will support the 4 cameras you're thinking of installing, but no more, and will also record in up to 8MP resolution :)

Or you could bin the NVR and just connect the cameras and manage them by either IVMS or browser. The Hikvision cameras have SD card support so recording on the camera is available using this option but I am not sure how you can access the recorded footage. I expect admin will be able to advise if my suggestion is viable or not.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I will look at the cameras to see which ones offer the Line Crossing Feature

Kind Regards Dave

Or you could bin the NVR and just connect the cameras and manage them by either IVMS or browser. The Hikvision cameras have SD card support so recording on the camera is available using this option but I am not sure how you can access the recorded footage. I expect admin will be able to advise if my suggestion is viable or not.

Completely viable :) if you're happy with the storage limitations of an SD card then you can set up any smart event, e.g. line crossing, without needing an NVR. If you weren't fussed about continuously recording the camera footage then you could set it up to only record during events when line crossing is triggered, to save storage space.

To access the footage recorded in the cameras SD card in iVMS-4200 you'll need to go to:

Menu > Remote Playback > Select your camera from the list in the left hand column > Play

From here you'll be able to use the toolbar at the bottom to scrub, snip and download the footage to your PC.

Looking at cameras with Line Crossing, can the turret cameras (DS-2CD2346G1-I ) be mounted on a vertical surface. or must they go under a soffit etc. They look som much nicer than the bullet ones

Kind regards, Dave

Turrets have been a popular choice (with good reason) since their introduction. They can be mounted on either a vertical or horizontal surface absolutely fine (we always recommend a few metres high), provided it's flat. The lens can then be positioned to point in whichever direction you want.

It's worth noting that the IR range of turrets is normally 30m, so they're not really suitable for use in low light in spaces that's fall short of 30m in length. This is the case particularly with indoor spaces, the IR bounces all over the walls etc and blinds the camera lens. I'm thinking of your garage - they're great for outdoors though.

For use indoors, your best bet is a mini dome (shorter IR range), something like a Hikvision 2545 Mini Dome will be ideal and can also be mounted both vertically and horizontally.

Last edited:
For your info on IR range. This is the image from my 6mm 4mp GO camera. The back fence that is top of picture is 30m away. The camera is mounted at 5m on the wall.
Screenshot_20200227-191625_Hik-Connect.jpg

Also pic for comparison showing daytime image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227-192045_Hik-Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-192045_Hik-Connect.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 206
Back