01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which is the best Hikvision camera for a domestic installation?

milleniumaire

Hi, I'm currently researching a new CCTV system and will probably invest in some Hikvision cameras and NVR to protect my home. I'm probably looking at 4 cameras and have read many articles and watched numerous videos and the Hikvision technology seems to come down to AcuSense or ColorVu.

I'm not sure why it is necessary to choose between the two i.e. why don't Hikvision make cameras that incorporate both lots of features?

Also, I was considering getting 8MP cameras but Hikvision don't seem to have many of these available. Is that because they are behind the times? Maybe I should be looking at another manufacturer?

I would be interested in peoples thoughts on which of the many Hikvision CCTV camera models is the best for use in a domestic installation i.e. £300 ($400) or lower.

Hi @milleniumaire

Answers to your questions are below:

Why don't Hikvision make cameras that incorporate both lots of features?
They do, the new 2x47G2 models support both AcuSense and ColorVu features in one camera, also you will see the DS-2CD2x47G2-LSU/SL models which also support the new Live-Guard features as well as AcuSense & ColorVu. What features are included with AcuSense, ColorVu, and Live-Guard are covered in the below forum thread.

I was considering getting 8MP cameras but Hikvision doesn't seem to have many of these available.
Hikvision does have 8MP AcuSense & ColorVu Cameras, but currently, the 8MP ColorVu Technology is not supported by the Turret-style of camera. In the last couple of weeks, we have seen mention of an 8MP AcuSense/ColorVu Turret from Hikvision HQ, but these are still a long way from being available in UK stock. (probably Q4 2021/Q1 2022 at the earliest)

which of the many Hikvision CCTV camera models is the best for use in a domestic installation?
It really depends on the size of the area you need to cover and the mounting locations, for most small residential installs where the area around the property is not much greater than 15-20m a 4MP turret camera mounted at around 3-4m will likely be fine. If you need more detail at those longer distances (20m+) then you would need to consider 8MP models with a narrower field of view (4mm or 6mm) and consider mounting them higher (closer to the roofline). Overall, for most domestic/residential installs, you cannot go too wrong with Turret cameras.

Hi Dan, thanks for the very useful information and the links.

I had seen the 8mp bullet camera, but would prefer the turret format. It's interesting how one's mind changes. When I started researching I wanted bullet cameras, but after a couple of months I now think turret cameras would be better, so I'm disappointed I can't get one with 8mp. 4mp seems a little low these days, although as you say, I'm sure it would be fine!

Back