01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which is the Best Hikvision NVR for 8 Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@nathanb

I have the DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P and very happy with it although I do read the various posts on forums such as this and wonder is it worth upgrading to the I series.

Common sense tells me my K series is doing the job fine but the little man in my head keeps knocking and telling me to upgrade to the I series.

If you are a first time buyer I would scrape the extra funds together and buy the I series but on the other hand wouldn't lose any sleep over having the K series.

Both are great NVR's.
Thanks. Glad to hear it is working out for you. Which cameras do you have?

Are you on the latest firmware or have you stayed on one of the older releases? Is smart search functionality available via IVMS if no longer available with browser?
I will look to see how much more the I series. @Phil also mentions issues with colorvu cameras, which are the ones I am going for.

Last edited:
Using 3 Hikvision Color-Vu DS 2CD2347G1-LU cameras here using both Hikvision UI version 4 and Web Browser through Chrome and original Internet Explorer without any issues as such.

Firmware V5.6.2 Build 200407 therefore using the flashing strobes under "Intrusion" and "Line Crossing"

Feedback through Hik Connect to my iPhone 11 works great so not so much to complain about really. :)

@busterboy
If you don’t mind me asking: How do you configure the flashing strobes?
Assume it’s via the cameras own configuration? In the Smart Event Linkage Method area?
I’m running Firmware V5.6.5 Build 200316 and can’t see an option, so wonder if it’s been removed or I am looking in totally the wrong place.

@busterboy
If you don’t mind me asking: How do you configure the flashing strobes?
Assume it’s via the cameras own configuration? In the Smart Event Linkage Method area?
I’m running Firmware V5.6.5 Build 200316 and can’t see an option, so wonder if it’s been removed or I am looking in totally the wrong place.

No problem.
Using the firmware v5.6.2 you get this option in the camera configuration panel. :)
flashing alarm.jpg

Hello Busterboy

On the flashing strobes. Is it the LED on the camera that strobes or is it an indicator on the NVR. I have the same camera and NVR but hadn't noticed this option.

Thanks

I need to update this thread to add that we would now STRONGLY encourage people to select and buy the I-series 8-camera NVR in preference to the K-series.

Please purchase this model:
Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel Network Video Recorder

We are increasingly seeing issues with the K-series NVRs when:
  1. The latest firmware available at this time is applied
  2. The NVR is used with the highest resolution (8MP) cameras
  3. The NVR is used with their latest tech cameras e.g. AcuSense or ColorVu cameras

We really don't want you to be disappointed, nor to endure stress and hassle trying to establish a reliable IP CCTV solution :(
Hello,

regarding the above message, I have an NVR DS-7608NI-K2, the one without the PoE switch, I have a separate PoE switch from Ubiquity. I will be connecting the only camera I have right now to the NVR soon (now it records on microSD 128GB), it is the DS-2CD2363G0-IU (6MP, EasyIP 2.0+), however I am planning to buy a 2nd camera at 8MP, either the respective EasyIP 2.0+ model DS-2CD2383G0-IU OR the following EasyIP 4.0 with AcuSense, DS-2CD2386G2-IU. Will I have problems with DS-2CD2386G2-IU? I am not planning on using AcuSense at all and I only want this better camera (compared to the first ones) because it is more sensitive to low light (darkfighter) and it achieves a better FPS number at 8MP compared to DS-2CD2383G0-IU. Do you think it will work fine under those conditions of use? Both the NVR and the cameras will be at their latest firmware versions as of 09 OCT 2021. Is it worth to give 36 EUR of extra money for the DS-2CD2386G2-IU?

Thanks,
Tassos
Athens Greece

- Continued browser access issues when using modern browsers (no browser support for Mac users)
- Smart Event search function being removed from the browser access
- Smart Event markers in the playback timeline being disabled
So based on these comments is it correct to say that the recommended NVR has all these features which means you can:

- Use a standard browser on a Mac
- Search for VCA/Smart events
- See the event markers in the playback timeline

If I decide to spend money on this I would like positive confirmation that there recommended NVR fixes all these issues :)

Good evening from Greece,

any ideas on my posting above? I really need your advice in order to make a successful purchase :) Any input will be appreciated..

Thanks a lot

Tassos

Good evening from Greece,

any ideas on my posting above? I really need your advice in order to make a successful purchase :) Any input will be appreciated..

Thanks a lot

Tassos
There's no reason you should have any issues with the 2386G2 and I'd say it was worth the extra money.

There's no reason you should have any issues with the 2386G2 and I'd say it was worth the extra money.
Thanks for the reply! So, in general, and if AcuSense is not used, there shouldn't be any problems if the 2386G2 is used as a simple IP camera. Well, the issue is actually not the extra money, what I was afraid of the most is possible incompatibilities of the 2386G2 with the NVR DS-7608NI-K2, which by the way, I upgraded yesterday to the latest firmware v4.31.

Last edited:
Hi all, I need to upgrade an 7604NI-K1/4P to an 8-port POE NVR for additional cameras and looking at DS-7608NI-K2/8P & DS-7608NI-I2/8P.

The hikvision catalogue can be confusing, so is this post still valid in terms of hikvision NVR choices or are new ones to be considered ?

I was thinking of moving to the Unify platform for better software (?) but you need a 3rd party gateway to feed non-Unify cameras such as hikvisions. So I'll guess I'll stick with hikvision NVRs for the moment.

Thanks for your opinion

Hi all, I need to upgrade an 7604NI-K1/4P to an 8-port POE NVR for additional cameras and looking at DS-7608NI-K2/8P & DS-7608NI-I2/8P.

The hikvision catalogue can be confusing, so is this post still valid in terms of hikvision NVR choices or are new ones to be considered ?

I was thinking of moving to the Unify platform for better software (?) but you need a 3rd party gateway to feed non-Unify cameras such as hikvisions. So I'll guess I'll stick with hikvision NVRs for the moment.

Thanks for your opinion
The DS-7608NI-I2 remains the better choice (of those 2). A couple of things to consider though. If you're intending on using all 8 channels and will use 4K cameras (now or in the future), you would be better getting the 16 channel model. The 8 channel model has 80 Mbps incoming bandwidth whereas the 16 channel model has 160 Mbps. This is important if you are intending to use 4K cameras and will record at higher frame rates. So it's 8 cameras or 80 Mbps incoming bandwidth - whichever is reached first. As an example I record my 4K cameras at 25 FPS and 12,288 Mbps and so could not have 8 of those on an '8 channel' machine and expect reliable operation.

Another thought are the AcuSense models - DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S or DS-7616NXI-I2/16/S. Previously I've advised against these as you can only use the AcuSense feature in the camera or the NVR and supposedly the the feature works better through the camera. However it's handy if you have some existing non AcuSense cameras and wanted the benefits of that feature. There are some limitations on how many non AcuSense cameras you can add the feature to on the NXI NVRs. I'm a little confused myself with that as when I installed one recently (a C revision model), the available resources for AcuSense in the NVR seemed to exceed what was on the spec sheet. As the C revision NXI model is far newer than the standard I series (it's never had a hardware revision as far as I'm aware) and uses different firmware, it's likely that the NXI will receive more updates and may be better long term, regardless of whether you need those AcuSense features.

Last edited:
The DS-7608NI-I2 remains the better choice (of those 2). A couple of things to consider though. If you're intending on using all 8 channels and will use 4K cameras (now or in the future), you would be better getting the 16 channel model. The 8 channel model has 80 Mbps incoming bandwidth whereas the 16 channel model has 160 Mbps. This is important if you are intending to use 4K cameras and will record at higher frame rates. So it's 8 cameras or 80 Mbps incoming bandwidth - whichever is reached first. As an example I record my 4K cameras at 25 FPS and 12,288 Mbps and so could not have 8 of those on an '8 channel' machine and expect reliable operation.

Another thought are the AcuSense models - DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S or DS-7616NXI-I2/16/S. Previously I've advised against these as you can only use the AcuSense feature in the camera or the NVR and supposedly the the feature works better through the camera. However it's handy if you have some existing non AcuSense cameras and wanted the benefits of that feature. There are some limitations on how many non AcuSense cameras you can add the feature to on the NXI NVRs. I'm a little confused myself with that as when I installed one recently (a C revision model), the available resources for AcuSense in the NVR seemed to exceed what was on the spec sheet. As the C revision NXI model is far newer than the standard I series (it's never had a hardware revision as far as I'm aware) and uses different firmware, it's likely that the NXI will receive more updates and may be better long term, regardless of whether you need those AcuSense features.

So for me
Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back