01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which NVR?

ItsMe

Hi fellas.

I came to this forum to ask specifically about Hikvision but now I am not so sure.
Whats a good NVR to use with 16 IP cameras? Again I had Hikvision cameras in mind but now I'm not so sure.
I will be fitting 1xPTZ and ten dome cameras.
I'm replacing my current CCTV setup at home and am going to run in cat6 cables to use PoE for the cameras so would like an NVR with PoE hub built in if possible.

Any help appreciated.

Hi, It is good to consider also other brands. I have been testing Milesight for some weeks. Today I configured also one Hikvision system to see which setup would be better in resolving register plates at night. Milesight has been a very positive experience in other usecases. Hikvision feels now somehow clunky after using the other system. There are still some minor issues with the software but the overall performance has been very good.

Hi, people tend to be picking between Milesight & HikVision right now.
Milesight ¦ use-IP Ltd
Hikvision ¦ use-IP Ltd
As per @Mal 's response the Milesight interface has the edge.
But if you want ANPR at some point, then Milesight don't currently offer this, so choose a HikVision NVR.
The low-light performance from Milesight cameras is excellent.
The Milesight mini-PTZ is really nice to live with.
Most of the Milesight dome cameras have a built-in microphone (hardly any HikVision cameras include a microphone.
If you prefer turret-style cameras, then these won't be available from Milesight for a few months - so choose HikVision turrets.
On that topic, HikVision are now offering motorised zoom turrets; 2H35, 2H55 and 2H85.
You can mix & match cameras / NVRs from HikVision & Milesight as appropriate for each installed application & camera position.
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/milesight-cameras-on-hikvision-nvrs.1425/

Thanks for the reply fellas,
I have a few more questions.
Why does the Milestone only have 8 PoE outputs on a 16 channel system?
Whats the difference between the 5000 and 7000 16 channel systems apart from the price?
One of my cameras is to be a front door cam, are there any on the site that are suited and PoE?
Is there a way to filter the cameras on the site that are PoE?

Sorry for all the questions but I have looked at this so much I'm running in circles now.

Last edited:
Why does the Milestone only have 8 PoE outputs on a 16 channel system?
It's quite common as NVR camera counts increase, HikVision's 32-camera NVRs only have 16 camera POE ports.
I can't think of any NVRs with more than 16 ports.

Whats the difference between the 5000 and 7000 16 channel systems apart from the price?
The 7000 series has more features e.g. Dual-LAN, RAID and more alarm inputs & outputs.

One of my cameras is to be a front door cam, are there any on the site that are suited and PoE?
People tend to use mini VR domes e.g. the 2542 from HikVision or the mini-VR domes from Milesight:
Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-I | 4MP Mini Dome IP Camera
Search results for: '73-pcv' ¦ use-IP Ltd

Is there a way to filter the cameras on the site that are PoE?
Not really, it'd be much harder to find cameras that aren't POE nowadays, as almost all cameras are POE-ready.

Hi and thanks for your patience and the replies Phil.
So I am presuming I would need another PoE hub to use more than the 8 PoE cameras?
I am trying to save the devastation in the house I know I should really mount the cameras at 8', to do that I would have to damage the plaster on the walls and coving etc. I am going to mount the cameras higher on the corner of the house under the eaves if I bought 6mm lens versions of the domes do you think it would give me a decent enough shot of the other side of the house 8m away?

I am also interested in the Milesight mini PTZ you mentioned earlier in the post, can it be programmed to move around at set times? I have an old Korean PTZ up at the moment and it can, so I would imagine the newer ones are even better?

I'm getting there now Phil. I've learned more in this post than I managed to glean elsewhere in weeks. thanks

So I am presuming I would need another PoE hub to use more than the 8 PoE cameras?
Yes.
Bear in mind this can be added to your network in any physical location that is most convenient to your cabling e.g. a single network cable from your router to a POE switch placed in the loft. Then, network cables to cameras all around the house distributed through the loft.

I am going to mount the cameras higher on the corner of the house under the eaves if I bought 6mm lens versions of the domes do you think it would give me a decent enough shot of the other side of the house 8m away?
Let's say you select a camera model where a 6mm lens gives you a typical 50° horizontal field of view. Then at 8m distance, the scene width you will see will be approximately 8m.

6mm lens to 8m distance 2-2-18.png

You might like to have a play around with the camera planner provided by IPVM to layout cameras around your home:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/help-with-cctv-camera-selection.1465/

I am also interested in the Milesight mini PTZ you mentioned earlier in the post, can it be programmed to move around at set times? I have an old Korean PTZ up at the moment and it can, so I would imagine the newer ones are even better?
The Milesight mini-PTZ is a fantastic camera, a real boon to any system, it was a wrench to uninstall it from my home demo system. Unfortunately, we haven't yet re-installed it on the office demo system. I believe you can schedule the patrols and tours. We did a walk-through video of the vast amount of settings and options on that camera here:

And Milesight's own promotional video for the mini-PTZ can be found here:

Hi Phil thanks for the info.

• I'm thinking of using this NVR Milesight UI-5016-PB 4K 16 Channel PoE Network Video Recorder is it okay with any setup?
  • Will having the PoE hub in the loft with only one cat cable down to the hub not bottleneck the bandwidth?
  • Is there a great difference between 5mp, 4mp and 3mp cams and is it worth extra?
  • Does a bullet offer any advantages over a dome? I cant see me having any vandal problems with the cameras so could fit either?
Also, Your video Milesight Menus & Settings Walkthrough loses audio at 45 seconds.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using this NVR Milesight UI-5016-PB 4K 16 Channel PoE Network Video Recorder is it okay with any setup?
Yes, that NVR is OK with Milesight's own cameras and 3rd-party ONVIF cameras.

Will having the PoE hub in the loft with only one cat cable down to the hub not bottleneck the bandwidth?
It's unlikely, individual cameras are typically not going to produce bandwidths greater than 10Mbps (Mega bits per second).
Your switch will have either 100Mbps or 1Gbps (Giga bits per second) ports.
A cat5e cable can carry 100Mbps.
A cat6 cable, at least 400Mbps.

Is there a great difference between 5mp, 4mp and 3mp cams and is it worth extra?
Not much difference with each single megapixel incremental step.
Milesight actually manufacture most of their cameras with a 2, 3, 4 and 5MP option available. We've decided to only stock the 2 and 5MP variants. HikVision's current range offers 3, 5 and 8MP (the previous range was 2 and 4MP, the one before that 1.3 and 3MP).

Does a bullet offer any advantages over a dome? I cant see me having any vandal problems with the cameras so could fit either?
We tend to only recommend dome cameras where Vandal Resistance is considered necessary.
All dome designs with the IR LEDs within the bubble are prone to internal IR reflection - https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/ir-reflection-troubleshooting-guide-blurry-night-image.649/
Bullet cameras do not suffer from this problem.

Hi Phil.
Okay, nearly there.
I think you may have answered almost all of my questions, well nearly all.
  • Is it worth spending the extra cash for the Pro Cameras or will I be okay with the Mini variants of the bullet range?
Thank again for your patience.

Is it worth spending the extra cash for the Pro Cameras or will I be okay with the Mini variants of the bullet range?

Hi, The Pro bullets have audio I/O and a slightly greater IR range 35m, rather than 25m.

Otherwise very similar, same low-light, same WDR, P-iris, VCA, etc.

Placement of cameras? Hi Phil. I am wary of exactly where I fit the bullet cams because of the flare that comes back from any reflection of the IR lamps. As mentioned earlier I was intending fitting them under the overhang of the roof. Is flare with bullets a problem? I have only ever had domes and flare was a nightmare under the overhang on a night.
Also I read a post by Mal regarding the Milesight VCA. What does it mean to me the end user that the VCA is on camera only?

Last edited:
You won't experience flare problems with bullet cameras.
It's caused by reflection/refraction issues associated with the dome.

At the moment you can only access the VCA setup of Milesight's cameras by directly logging into the camera with your browser, which is tricky to do if they are direct-connected to an NVR.
Milesight will resolve this in a future firmware release, so that you can access the settings from the NVR GUI.
At the moment I do not know when this will be.

Argh. That's a game changer. So if I bought an equivalent Hikvision NVR would the VCA from Milesight cameras be accessible through the NVR? Or would I need Hikvision cameras?

You would need HikVision cameras to access their Smart detection features via the HikVision NVR

Back