01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Why buy a CCTV NVR

Des

I don't understand the purpose behind NVR CCTV packages. Why should I bother buying an NVR box & kit when I can simply buy a number of IP cameras connect them to any PC with a decent Hard Drive (unless cloud storage) and find some generic software to view / manage recordings. Surely in most cases the box will just be a waste? Having purchased this white Elephant before I found connecting IP Cameras just as difficult with or without the box. (I admit very poor knowledge of these matters)

At least this way you can experiment by buying cameras one by one to see if they work/suit you.

You certainly can run software on a PC to record and manage your cameras.
It is only really more cost-effective if you already have a PC available, and don't pay much for your CCTV software.
You are reliant upon (typically) Windows OS.
You will need bigger than normal HDDs (multiple TeraBytes).
You will need separate power supplies or a POE switch to provide power to the cameras (most NVRs provide POE, to power the cameras).
NVRs tend to be very reliable and will for instance auto-resume recording after a power-cut.
NVRs from Chinese manufacturers have become very cheap.
Some, such as Hikvision's, offering advanced features like ANPR free-of-charge.

Reactions: Des
Aha Im learning already. My NVR was just an empty box , it didn't even come with a hard drive installed let alone ANPR. If my NVR box provided, POE, resume after power out and other facilities not commonly available on a PC I would have understood its value.

Great response thanks

Back