01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

WiFi IP camera to add to existing Hikvision DVR setup (DS-7216HGHI-SH)

downhiller

As above. We've bought a house and inherited a Hikvision DS-7216HGHI-SH which currently has 5 analogue co-ax cameras attached to it. I'd like to add a couple more cameras, inside the house, and without the faff of running coax. I believe the box has the capability to add two IP cameras, which presumably could be WiFi rather than wired.

I imagine in a year or two I'll replace the whole system with something a bit more up to date, so I'm looking for the cheapest usable wifi IP camera that will work with the existing set up for now.

Thank you.

I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference.

Hikvision PTZ cameras
Hi @downhiller

Yes, you should be able to connect up to 2 IP cameras recording at up to 1080p resolution.

Our recommendations would be either the DS-2CD2455FWD-IW 5MP Cube camera or the DS-2CD2545FWD-IWS 4MP Mini Dome.

They are both higher than the 1080p/2MP resolution that the DVR can handle but if you drop the resolution during the setup you should be able to record these cameras, and then down the line when you do upgrade the whole system you can use the full 4/5MP resolution.

Thanks. Anything cheaper, if I wanted to scrimp in the short-term, given the hit my income will take for the next year or so...?

We can't offer or recommend anything cheaper than those Hikvision models, I would also be cautious about buying any cheap WiFi camera that is not Hikvision as you may experience compatibility issues. The key thing to make sure is that any cheap camera you purchase is ONVIF complaint as that is a universal standard that all brands share and should limit the chances of you encountering connection problems with the Hikvision DVR.

Back