01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Wireless bridge for CCTV and computer network

mkerton

Hi,

I'd appreciate comments on the deployment of wireless bridges in relation to use for CCTV system with four cameras (4MP would be nice), as well as for a computer network comprising 2 or 3 stations.

I'm proposing to use the HIK DS-3WF03C kit over about 40metres line of sight. I notice these can be configured point to multi-point. Would I need 1 station and 2 access points? Any help would be most appreciated.

Michael

With the caveat that it is new and therefore we have no hands-on experience as yet:
It's a bridge - typical use is say house to garden office - one point on each.
The one in the house is wired to the home network.
The one on the garden office is connected to a switch in the garden office and thereby can have many network devices connected, all of which effectively join the home network.

Phil,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Caveats noted. Yes, the scenario you mention is precisely what I want for CCTV. But I would like to extend a computer network for the same reason. It strikes me that 2 slave nodes would facilitate my needs (albeit bandwidth limited). I cannot see CCTV being needed at the same time I'm online anyway! Of course, it might be possible perhaps to use one spare port on the switch and just stick to wired internet connection in the garden office. Much appreciate feedback.

Regards

Michael

David,

Thank you so much for the link. I'm really trying to get to grips with point to multi-point. I've seen some examples of P-P, but not P-MP. In particular for CCTV and computer network. I have a feeling that bandwith notwithstanding, it should be possible to configure wireless that way. I did think about mesh, but again, is there anyone who has managed to setup CCTV and small computer network together like that?

@mkerton The tplink radio in that thread is capable of p2mp. ubiquiti is another option.

personally I would be wary of hikvision wireless.

David,

Thank's for that I'll go over the TPlink kit. I'm sure to have more questions than answers, but that's the nature of the beast :) I've looked at the Ubiquiti stuff and am impressed, esp their mesh.

Another thought is Ethernet over power line using your house mains wiring. Tplink offer this as well. Happy to answer questions.

David,

Thank's again for your input. Well, I have an indoor pond with a filtration system installed, I have installed a variable frequency drive to control the speed of the pump. Despite a 16mm armour cable supply and suppression, there are some harmonics. I did install one of those BT Ethernet over power lines. It works reasonably, except when the pump is running. The speed drops from around 25Mbps to around 6 :( I was hoping to make the most of the need for P2P in my garden office to kill....erm, solve two issues with one solution. Or at least, 1 and a half solutions if 3 bridges would do it.

Thanks again

@mkerton how about a Wireless Distribution System (WDS)? Some can also be an Access Point (AP) at the same time. Another thought is to run Cat5e to the external locations.

Back