01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Y-Cam 1080 Cube IP Camera Review

Harri Whipp

Administrator
03-y-cam-cube-hd-1080-front-white-300x300.jpg

When we received one of Y-Cam's brand new cube cameras (Y-Cam Cube 720) just over two months ago, we were pleasantly surprised by the device; the look, size, weight, presentation. and quality of this little camera.

This week we have received the 720's siblings; the VGA and 1080p versions. Today we will be taking a look at the Y-Cam 1080p Cube Camera, the highest quality camera in this range. This camera is currently priced around £35 more than the 720 and around £70 more than the VGA version.

This 2MP camera can shoot 30 fps at 1920 x 1080 and uses its 28 IR LEDs to allow you to see at night. It can also record straight to a micro-SD card and can be viewed either via the Y-Cam web application or by any IOS or Android devices. This camera has the same functionality as its siblings, featuring motion detection and alarms. Even though this camera isn't PoE straight out of the box it is extendable to do so (by use of Y-Cam's YCACCPOE dongle).

All three cameras in this range are available in white or black. All are almost identical with regards to size, shape and style to the packaging that they come in. Below we have an unboxing of the 1080's sibling the Y-Cam Cube 720p.

We mentioned that the camera is not PoE straight out of the box. It comes with an AC power plug and a micro USB port into which you plug an ethernet port dongle. However, you can buy a PoE adapter that plugs into the micro USB port instead, enabling the user to power the device via PoE. Below we have images of the rear of the device, the standard ethernet dongle and the PoE dongle.

ycam-300x300.jpg
ycam1-300x300.jpg
y-cam-poe-dongle-01-300x300.jpg

The footage that we recorded was saved directly to a 32 GB micro SD card, but from our tests this camera also works well with a QNAP VioStor or a Synology box. Using one of these options is a great way to record as you can add it to your existing CCTV network with other cameras from different manufacturers.

Using the web client you can view a live stream of the camera, take snapshots, record footage and change all the settings for the camera, including the streams, audio settings, storage option and network settings.
When we first logged into the web client, I was struck by how sensitive the built-in microphone on this camera is, a major advantage for the camera. It would be great for use as a baby monitor or in a security situation where clear audio is required.

Below is a screenshot of the webclient and a snapshot taken from it. Click on each image to view a full resolution image (1920 x 1080 for the snapshot).

y-cam-screenshot.png

20130410_112708.jpg

Below we also have sample footage of the Y-Cam cube 720p and 1080p for comparison.

720p footage:

1080p footage:

From what I have seen from this camera so far and in comparison to its 720p sibling, which I have also tested, I would say this is a cost-effective camera. I feel this camera is best suited for home monitoring as opposed to other environments, just because of its functionality and size. Its sleek appearance also favours a home environment.

However, it would also be a great solution in a small office or in a classroom environment when video and audio evidence is needed. Either recording direct to the on board micro-SD card or an NVR would be a great solution for this camera. The quality of this camera is obviously better than the 720p and you only pay a small premium for the extra quality but I feel that a 720 cube would be more than adequate for many users that don't need the highest quality.

Back