01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Yet another plea for help from an Hikvison iVMS-4200/IpCam noob

XtractorFan

Hi folks,
I'm 'transitioning' from an elderly AvTech analogue DVR/camera setup that has run without hitch for several years - to an IpCam system.

I just want to try and recreate what AvTech DVR gave me:
Continuous real time capture + motion detector 'events' logging, so I can look at the recorded timeline and see motion events flagged (shown in red) and skip easily and quickly to see what triggered the event.

A few years back I purchased 4 Hikvison DS-2CD2012-I cameras - but didn't get round to fitting or positioning them, apart from one over the front door.
This works well - I'm very impressed with the picture quality (over the analogue cameras) - even though its only 720p......
I can view the IpCam using IE, iVMS-4500 (Android Tablet) and the iVMS-4200 Client software.

So to try and replace the AvTech I've installed iVMS-4200 Client and Storage server on a 'retired' Windows 10 PC/file server located in the Barn - which is where most of the cameras are/will be - to keep an eye on livestock etc.

That works too, I can record the camera output and setup motion detection (done in the camera?) and view the recordings - but as it's remote from the house I have to view it using the iVMS-4200 client software on a house laptop.

As long as the laptop client is running, I can view the recorded timeline - but not see any 'event' markers.
I can see motion detection events on the Alarm Event tab in the client - but can't find a way of combining both things in the Remote Playback tab/screen.

When I shut down the iVMS-4200 client on the laptop, all the alarm events disappear - as I suppose the camera/server only 'notifies the running client'....

I understand that 'you get what you pay for' and as the iVMS-4200 is free - am I expecting too much functionality?

One option would be to buy a Hikvision NVR - say the DS-7608NI-K2-8P (which looks OK for my needs) - but reading through the user manual doesn't give me much hope it will do what I want either.

As with most modern kit, there are so many options, the terminology is confusing and as it varies between manufacturers it's difficult to pin down.

Oh, all the Hikvision software in use is the the latest revision and I upgraded all the cameras firmware to the current 5.4.5 release.

I've scoured this forum (and others) to get some hints, but so far to no avail - can anybody advise?
Thanks....

Thanks for the full explanation.
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you without setting-up similar.
You have done well to get that all working.
I suspect that it is as you find it i.e. it won't do anything more than you have found.

I've checked and confirmed that you are using the latest camera firmware.

Have you got the latest version of HikVision's IVMS-4200? (V2.7.0.6)
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Perhaps test their recently released HikCentral software?
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikvision-hikcentral-software.1658/

Hi Phil, many thanks for your quick reply.
Somehow I have iVMS-4200 v2.7.10 - downloaded from: Hikvision Europe
I'll have a look at the HikCentral.
Do you use a Hikvision NVR? - if so how would you set up the recording schedule - continuous or event?
I see my cameras are capable of triggering single line crossing and/or intrusion detection 'VCA events' (what does VCA stand for?) - but can't immediately see how they would factor into the equation...

Do you use a Hikvision NVR? - if so how would you set up the recording schedule - continuous or event?
We always recommend that you record continuously.

I see my cameras are capable of triggering single line crossing and/or intrusion detection 'VCA events' (what does VCA stand for?) - but can't immediately see how they would factor into the equation...
= Video Content Analysis
You can initiate actions based upon detections:

Actually, your older model cameras won't have all of the VCA features of the current series, but you get the idea.

Ah right, obvious really ;)
I'll look into VCA's - I see there's a VCA playback button on the iVMS-4200 toolbar, may be the answer....

Well I've had a fun couple of weeks trying and evaluating 'free' and trial software from various vendors and ended up back at square one...

My goal was to try and find a system that would record continuously but allow me to quickly navigate to motion detected events.

I'm fortunate in that I have a few 'spare' Desktop PC'sand laptops lying around to experiment on, ranging from elderly AMD Athlon X2's to an i5-6600K Desktop. All run Windows 10 Pro x64.

The Milesight VMS lite and Pro didn't fit the bill, neither did Xeoma (couldn't get that to work at all) iSpy64 worked well, but didn't support camera based motion detection - it's own motion detection was very CPU intensive. Perhaps I didn't try them for long enough, as by then I'd found Luxriot Evo.

Although all the above installed and ran OK, I strugged with most trying to get my cameras recognised and working - I trawled many forums....

The free Luxriot Evo fits my bill (sort of) - it ran on all the test PC's/Laptops and recognised the Hikvision's and used their motion detection.
Here are a few screen shots:
LuxriotEvoMotionLiveCapture1.JPG

LuxriotEvoMotionPlaybackCapture1.JPG

and a nice article on it: Viewing multiple Sharx Security cameras with free Luxriot EVO software – Sharx Security Blog

I struggled for a week with Milestone XProtect Essential+
It wouldn't install on anything, kept throwing up SQL or 'Server failed to start' errors until I tried it on an AMD FX-6300 PC running Windows 10 Pro x64 (fresh clean install and imaged using Acronis) with a couple of 500GB HDD's and 8GB ram.
Success! - short lived, as I couldn't log in using the management client.....
2nd attempt (re loaded clean OS image) failed to install as before, but third time lucky - server ran and I could log in and set the cameras up - but then noticed it didn't support 'on camera motion detection' and wouldn't record continuously unless I enabled it's own motion detection.
Real shame, software that's a sod to install/use - loads of verbose documentation that's really tedious to read.

So I've given up and I'm about to order a Hikvision NVR to play with.

In the meantime I've settled on the Luxriot Evo running on my trusty old AMD unit that lives in the barn.
It's an AMD Athlon X2 4000 (running Win10 Pro x64) with 4GB Ram a couple of 500GB HDD's and a 2TB raid array.
This functions as my NAS server backup and WordPress dev platform - it's a tad slow but very reliable, apart from when Microsoft clobber it with 'updates'

It runs the Luxriot Evo with ease (5 - 10% CPU with 4 cameras), it's just a shame that Luxriot Evo is so nobbled, no scheduling, no event/alarms etc.
Why don't they have a paid for 'entry level' version ( I don't need 24 cameras!) with the bit's that are nobbled at a reasonable price point.
After all you can get a Hikvision 8 camera NVR and 3TB HDD for around £300.....

Back