01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connecting Hikvision NVR and EE Bright Box1 router.

Hopefully this will sort it out for me (famous last words !!) I am on a learning curve with my i-Pad.
Below are 3 images (Image1-3.jpg) Each one with inlaid questions on the image. I hope this way works O.K.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Once you have the app installed, allow any permissions it asks for, enter the region as Europe then uk then:

WITH THE PHONES WIFI ON & CONNECTED TO YOUR WIFI
  1. Open the IVMS app
  2. Click the Menu icon in the top left corner (3 lines in a circle)
  3. Select Devices
  4. If present - swipe left on the existing Chinese demo site and select Delete
  5. In the top right corner click + then select Manual Adding
  6. Enter the following details:
  • Alias - enter a friendly name for your system - “Home” for example
  • Register Mode - Select IP/Domain from the options
  • Address - 192.168.1.99
  • Port - 8000
  • User Name - admin
  • Password - carefully enter your NVR admin password here
In the top right corner click the Save icon. Camera No. should update from 1 to the number of cameras on the system. Click Start Live View.

Thank you but someone is going to have to come and do this for me I think. I deleted the Hik-Connect app. Downloaded the iVMS-4500 app and then it all went wrong. I am trying to get this working on an i-Pad, not an i-Phone. I do not have an i-Phone. I tried to follow the options that you have written above but they are different to what is on my i-Pad. One thing I disliked was the various options to allow Hik-Connect to know where I am and lots of other things, email address, 'phone number, etc.. I will have another attempt later and report back. Thank you again for your efforts, it is clearly my lack of experience with i-Pads that is causing the problem. I really thought it was beginning to come together.

EDIT. I managed to input some of the stuff, region, NVR password, and a few other things but it all went wrong eventually after 3 attempts of deleting the app and downloading it again.

Thank you but someone is going to have to come and do this for me I think. I deleted the Hik-Connect app. Downloaded the iVMS-4500 app and then it all went wrong. I am trying to get this working on an i-Pad, not an i-Phone. I do not have an i-Phone. I tried to follow the options that you have written above but they are different to what is on my i-Pad. One thing I disliked was the various options to allow Hik-Connect to know where I am and lots of other things, email address, 'phone number, etc.. I will have another attempt later and report back. Thank you again for your efforts, it is clearly my lack of experience with i-Pads that is causing the problem. I really thought it was beginning to come together.
The iPad version used to be different but as long as you're using the iVMS-4500 lite version that you pointed out it should be the same so it doesn't matter whether you are setting it up on an iPad or iPhone. I have an old iPad upstairs - I'll just have a quick check to see how it differs to the iPhone......With regard to what you've said about e mail addresses, phone numbers etc, that's the reason I prefer iVMS-4500 as these are not required.

Last edited:
The iPad version used to be different but as long as you're using the iVMS-4500 lite version that you pointed out it should be the same so it doesn't matter whether you are setting it up on an iPad or iPhone. I have an old iPad upstairs - I'll just have a quick check to see how it differs to the iPhone......
I've just deleted and reinstalled the same version of iVMS-4500 on my iPad from the App Store. The setup is the same so I'm not sure why yours would show anything different.

Open the app "Enter Region" appears, click the pencil icon to the right, click the drop down arrow next to Europe, select UK the click enter. A 2 x 2 screen will appear with no cameras

1. Click the Menu icon in the top left corner (3 lines in a circle - looks like a burger) Ignore the "Not Logged In" at the top - it's irrelevant for this setup.
  2. Select Devices
  3. You'll see the Demo site "Hangzhou, China" If present - swipe to the left on that entry and select Delete (appears to the right)
  4. In the top right corner click + then select Manual Adding in the small black popup window. Another window appears ready to fill the details for your site.
  5. Enter the following details:
  • Alias - enter a friendly name for your system - “Home” for example to replace "New Device 01"
  • Register Mode - Click the arrow on the far right then select IP/Domain from the options.
  • Address - Blank by default - tap above the line and type in 192.168.1.99
  • Port - 8000 (this is correct by default unless set differently in the NVR)
  • User Name - admin
  • Password - carefully enter your NVR admin password here (I say carefully as it's easy to mistype it and the characters only appear briefly before being masked)
In the top right corner click the Save icon. Camera No. should update from 1 to the number of cameras on the system. Click Start Live View (at the bottom of the screen)

If it shows "Connection Failed" - either the iPad is not connected to the same WiFi, the IP address is mistyped, or the port number is not correct (8000 is default but can be changed, so it can be checked in the NVR Menu > Network Settings.

If it shows "Incorrect Username or Password" - it has successfully connected but those details have been mistyped.

If you get an error as above, clicking the pencil icon in the top right corner allows you to edit the incorrect details.

Last edited:
Thank you for those very concise instructions. I get to the screen that is attempting to show me my 3 cameras and each one is labelled correctly with the names that I have given to the cameras, i.e. House Drive, etc. but each one also has the following message that as you can see contains the name of the camera :

New DeviceThe Farm - House Drive. [This device has enabled stream encryption. Input the verification code on the Device Information->More page .]

The Farm is the name that I have given at the beginning as an Alias.

I have looked in my NVR at Menu>Configuration>Network>More settings and it is showing my Server Port as 8000, my HTTP Port as 80, and my RTSP Port as 554.

I go through your list of instructions and it is all pretty well as you have typed it but I am getting the message at the end that says : Incorrect Username or Password

I have just found an anomaly. I have always known my NVR password and I have it written down in a few places. But I have just gone into Menu>Configuration>Network>Platform Access and in the Verification Code line there is one alpha character that is missing from what I have always known as my NVR password.

Thank you for those very concise instructions. I get to the screen that is attempting to show me my 3 cameras and each one is labelled correctly with the names that I have given to the cameras, i.e. House Drive, etc. but each one also has the following message that as you can see contains the name of the camera :

New DeviceThe Farm - House Drive. [This device has enabled stream encryption. Input the verification code on the Device Information->More page .]

The Farm is the name that I have given at the beginning as an Alias.

I have looked in my NVR at Menu>Configuration>Network>More settings and it is showing my Server Port as 8000, my HTTP Port as 80, and my RTSP Port as 554.

I go through your list of instructions and it is all pretty well as you have typed it but I am getting the message at the end that says : Incorrect Username or Password

I have just found an anomaly. I have always known my NVR password and I have it written down in a few places. But I have just gone into Menu>Configuration>Network>Platform Access and in the Verification Code line there is one alpha character that is missing from what I have always known as my NVR password.
In the platform access bit - just disable stream encryption. That’s enabled when HikConnect service is used. Once you disable it you should be good.

Thank you. Bit busy here at the moment with the weather as it is. I will report back later in the day.

I've been thinking (very dangerous territory ! ) I have iVMS-4200 on my NVR but I can only download iVMS-4500 from the App Store. Does that create any kind of conflict ?

I've been thinking (very dangerous territory ! ) I have iVMS-4200 on my NVR but I can only download iVMS-4500 from the App Store. Does that create any kind of conflict ?
There's no conflict, they are different things:

iVMS-4200 is a Windows application that runs on your PC
iVMS-4500 is a mobile app for iOS (Apple) and Android mobile devices

There's no conflict, they are different things:

iVMS-4200 is a Windows application that runs on your PC
iVMS-4500 is a mobile app for iOS (Apple) and Android mobile devices
Ah, O.K. Thank you for that. I have also now disabled Stream Encryption as per #28

UPDATE. I think I may have been complicating the issue. I don't want to be able to control the cameras on the iPads. All we could ever do was look at the cameras when we clicked the normal HikVision icon on the iPad front screen. We could control the single PTZcamera that we had on them but that isn't necessary. We have driveway alarms and when one went off it was so useful to be able to pick up an iPad and click the icon and the cameras were there instantly and so we could tell if it had been a false alarm or if anybody/thing was accessing the farm.

On another unconnected issue and purely out of interest I can not find this topic by looking down any the Forum lists. I get to it by clicking on your email notifications. I was just interested to see how many views it had acheived.

UPDATE. I think I may have been complicating the issue. I don't want to be able to control the cameras on the iPads. All we could ever do was look at the cameras when we clicked the normal HikVision icon on the iPad front screen. We could control the single PTZcamera that we had on them but that isn't necessary. We have driveway alarms and when one went off it was so useful to be able to pick up an iPad and click the icon and the cameras were there instantly and so we could tell if it had been a false alarm or if anybody/thing was accessing the farm.

On another unconnected issue and purely out of interest I can not find this topic by looking down any the Forum lists. I get to it by clicking on your email notifications. I was just interested to see how many views it had acheived.

what you describe you had is exactly what you’ll get with the iVMS-4500 app. It’s not at all as complicated as the iVMS-4200 pc application - it just allows you to view, playback and control PTZ.

The forum is a little jumbled to be fair. If you click on Forums then select Hikvision you have to scroll down through an absolute load of older informational “sticky” posts to get to the most recent. It never used to be that way and I’m not sure why it was changed - it would be far easier to navigate, if those older posts were behind another link keeping the newest posts at the very top hint hint @Phil - my right thumb is getting worn down with all the scrolling!

O.K. Thank you for that. A bit bogged down with work here at the moment and trying to get it all done before the weather breaks. And this happened today which is a bad sign if you're trying to make hay. Sorry about the quality but my PTZ just caught it in the top right hand corner and I had to zoom and crop using PowerDirector. Best to watch it small screen.

O.K. Thank you for that. A bit bogged down with work here at the moment and trying to get it all done before the weather breaks. And this happened today which is a bad sign if you're trying to make hay. Sorry about the quality but my PTZ just caught it in the top right hand corner and I had to zoom and crop using PowerDirector. Best to watch it small screen.
Where in the UK is that? I couldn't make out what was left on the hedge.

Where in the UK is that? I couldn't make out what was left on the hedge.
It is in Warwickshire and what is left on the hedge is quite a lot of hay that the tornado had picked up that we are in the process of making in one of our fields and then dragged it over the hedge into the next field.

Sorry, it's me again. All haymaking finished here so I'm back to this problem again. Please feel free to ignore it if you wish - I will understand. This afternoon I made a crude video of a screen recording of downloading the iVMS-4500 and have put it on YouTube. I know I must be doing something wrong because I can't get it to work but if I can repeat what I have said earlier, it is not necessary for me to have the full works, just the cameras without all the recorded footage, event management, and all the other stuff that presumably goes with this version.

I've just looked at a preview of this message and it says that the video is unavailable. I have saved it on YT as unlisted, is that the reason why that has happened ?

Sorry, it's me again. All haymaking finished here so I'm back to this problem again. Please feel free to ignore it if you wish - I will understand. This afternoon I made a crude video of a screen recording of downloading the iVMS-4500 and have put it on YouTube. I know I must be doing something wrong because I can't get it to work but if I can repeat what I have said earlier, it is not necessary for me to have the full works, just the cameras without all the recorded footage, event management, and all the other stuff that presumably goes with this version.

I've just looked at a preview of this message and it says that the video is unavailable. I have saved it on YT as unlisted, is that the reason why that has happened ?
Not sure why the video is not there - I don’t use YT.

The iVMS-4500 app is just a viewer for live and recorded video from your system. It’s as basic as it gets. There’s really only that or Hik-Connect available that you can use to view your cameras on your devices.

Not sure why the video is not there - I don’t use YT.

The iVMS-4500 app is just a viewer for live and recorded video from your system. It’s as basic as it gets. There’s really only that or Hik-Connect available that you can use to view your cameras on your devices.
Damn. Typo in the last content from me. The video shows me trying to install iVMS-4200 and not, as typed, iVMS-4500. I have placed the video link on a new line but that doesn't work. I have tried the Insert Link and Insert Media options as shown above and they don't work either and when you got to Insert Media it shows YouTube as being one of the ones that is approved !

And my previous video of the tornado is now showing as unavailable.

Last edited:
Back