01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and iVMS-4200.

I just edited my post above. You're on the wrong settings. Follow those first steps 1- 6 and it'll be back online.
If so in iVMS-4200 you want to manually delete the two cameras in device management top panel and then follow the steps in post #8 above to add the NVR back in properly.

I just edited my post above. You're on the wrong settings. Follow those first steps 1- 6 and it'll be back online.
Could only do up to and including step 3. I have "IPv4 Default Gateway" which is greyed out and inactive. Three spaced decimal points are visible in the greyed out section..no numbers visible.
I have more greyed out lines as follows:
"Enable Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" with a blank tickbox
"Preferred DNS Server"
"Alternate DNS Server"
I lastly have an active line "Internal NIC IPv4 address" which has Number 192.168.254.1

Could only do up to and including step 3. I have "IPv4 Default Gateway" which is greyed out and inactive. Three spaced decimal points are visible in the greyed out section..no numbers visible.
I have more greyed out lines as follows:
"Enable Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" with a blank tickbox
"Preferred DNS Server"
"Alternate DNS Server"
I lastly have an active line "Internal NIC IPv4 address" which has Number 192.168.254.1
Hmmm..Do you know what version of firmware the NVR is on? If it's the newer version 4 - on the left side at the bottom you can switch between "Easy" and "Advanced". If thats the case make sure you're on "Advanced" for it to expose all of the available menu options.

Hmmm..Do you know what version of firmware the NVR is on? If it's the newer version 4 - on the left side at the bottom you can switch between "Easy" and "Advanced". If thats the case make sure you're on "Advanced" for it to expose all of the available menu options.
NVR is version 3.4.103 build 181226. When I try to update this from onscreen menu, I get message that this is the most recent version. Thank you for spending time with me. I'm going to sign out until tomorrow.

NVR is version 3.4.103 build 181226. When I try to update this from onscreen menu, I get message that this is the most recent version. Thank you for spending time with me. I'm going to sign out until tomorrow.
No problem - that is the latest version for that model.

I'm beginning to lose track of what I've done but went back to message #8 and deleted my two camera names. Clicked on Group (was originally open at Device) but the left hand column is blank. Incidentally, I am running a Mac with Catalina as OS and a magic mouse which does not have L and R buttons. I could find a mouse with L & R buttons but unless the screen shows which you detail, there is not a current need for it.
On another matter, My Plusnet router has four sockets labelled Gig Ethernet into one of which is plugged the Cat 6 cable from my NVR. There is also a socket labelled Broadband WAN which has nothing plugged into it. I tried plugging my NVR into this socket this afternoon to see if it made any difference, but it didn't.
Other information is as follows. I tried entering my NVR IPv4 address into my browser address line and got the Hikvision login page. I entered the user name and password and got into the Hikvision NVR control page with all the usual headings such as Live View, Playback, Picture and Configuration, but in the middle was a black window which said "No plug-in detected". This page however, somehow recognised my two cameras which were listed in a column at the left.

After tinkering today, I now have live view of my cameras within iVMS-4200. In the Device Management page, the NVR appears under the Device tab, while the two cameras appear under the Group tab.The NVR and both cameras have the same IP address. I'm not sure if this is the right way round, but I feel as if I am getting somewhere. At the bottom of the page, the Online Device section still registers (0). I will probably get up the courage to do some more tinkering and hope that I don't lose what I have at the moment.

After tinkering today, I now have live view of my cameras within iVMS-4200. In the Device Management page, the NVR appears under the Device tab, while the two cameras appear under the Group tab.The NVR and both cameras have the same IP address. I'm not sure if this is the right way round, but I feel as if I am getting somewhere. At the bottom of the page, the Online Device section still registers (0). I will probably get up the courage to do some more tinkering and hope that I don't lose what I have at the moment.
That is exactly what you should see. The NVR is on the same network as the Mac running iVMS (192.168.1.xxx). The cameras connected to the NVR are on a different network to keep them separate (192.168.254.xxx). When you've imported the NVR into the app it has added the cameras connected to it, to a group.

The issue all along has been that your NVR had an IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range, while your Mac and the rest of your network was in the 192.168.1.xxx range. For two devices to communicate directly, they need to be on the same network and they were not. You won't be aware, but most router manufacturers setup the local network with either 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx. It just so happens that when you originally had your CCTV setup with your previous Netgear router, it was using a 192.168.0.xxx address. So it stopped working when switching back to PlusNets router as they have a different default setting.

That is exactly what you should see. The NVR is on the same network as the Mac running iVMS (192.168.1.xxx). The cameras connected to the NVR are on a different network to keep them separate (192.168.254.xxx). When you've imported the NVR into the app it has added the cameras connected to it, to a group.

The issue all along has been that your NVR had an IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range, while your Mac and the rest of your network was in the 192.168.1.xxx range. For two devices to communicate directly, they need to be on the same network and they were not. You won't be aware, but most router manufacturers setup the local network with either 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx. It just so happens that when you originally had your CCTV setup with your previous Netgear router, it was using a 192.168.0.xxx address. So it stopped working when switching back to PlusNets router as they have a different default setting.
Your explanations are helping me see (very dimly, I'll admit) what might be going on. My ultimate aim is to get the camera footage available to me remotely while away from the house. I was able to do this before I started trying to upgrade / changing routers. At the moment my NVR IPv4 gateway is 192.168.0.xxx (as shown in the SADP tool) and in the iVMS4200 Device Management page the NVR is showing, under "Network Parameters" a 192.168.1.xxx:xxxx number, but the NVR is not showing as being online. A few months ago, I was successfully accessing camera footage remotely using the SecuritySpy software. I bought this at the time because iVMS4200 was getting a bit clunky. So I currently have the choice of using the newer upgraded iVMS4200 or my equally new upgraded SecuritySpy. I can access my cameras live view on both these applications on my computer, but not remotely. I think this is the final hurdle to overcome.

Your explanations are helping me see (very dimly, I'll admit) what might be going on. My ultimate aim is to get the camera footage available to me remotely while away from the house. I was able to do this before I started trying to upgrade / changing routers. At the moment my NVR IPv4 gateway is 192.168.0.xxx (as shown in the SADP tool) and in the iVMS4200 Device Management page the NVR is showing, under "Network Parameters" a 192.168.1.xxx:xxxx number, but the NVR is not showing as being online. A few months ago, I was successfully accessing camera footage remotely using the SecuritySpy software. I bought this at the time because iVMS4200 was getting a bit clunky. So I currently have the choice of using the newer upgraded iVMS4200 or my equally new upgraded SecuritySpy. I can access my cameras live view on both these applications on my computer, but not remotely. I think this is the final hurdle to overcome.
As detailed previously, you need to set not only the IPV4 address correctly in the NVR but also the gateway, DNS servers etc. You have successfully altered your IP address on the NVR so that you can now access the NVR while on your local network. However you must change the gateway address in the NVR to 192.168.1.254. That is the default address of the PlusNet router (if you type 192.168.1.254 into a web browser you should get the login page for the router settings).

You mentioned in a previous post that the gateway and DNS settings were blank. You need to click in the blank boxes and fill in the details that I previously posted. Click in the left hand empty entry for the gateway and the on screen keyboard should pop up allowing you to enter the details. If you're struggling to do that with the menu on the NVR, now that you can access the NVR from a web browser you can just access the same menu from your Mac with Safari browser once you've logged in. I've shown the page in the screenshot below (ignore the settings shown and enter the ones I gave you previously):

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 16.44.57.png

As detailed previously, you need to set not only the IPV4 address correctly in the NVR but also the gateway, DNS servers etc. You have successfully altered your IP address on the NVR so that you can now access the NVR while on your local network. However you must change the gateway address in the NVR to 192.168.1.254. That is the default address of the PlusNet router (if you type 192.168.1.254 into a web browser you should get the login page for the router settings).

You mentioned in a previous post that the gateway and DNS settings were blank. You need to click in the blank boxes and fill in the details that I previously posted. Click in the left hand empty entry for the gateway and the on screen keyboard should pop up allowing you to enter the details. If you're struggling to do that with the menu on the NVR, now that you can access the NVR from a web browser you can just access the same menu from your Mac with Safari browser once you've logged in. I've shown the page in the screenshot below (ignore the settings shown and enter the ones I gave you previously):

View attachment 7168
Another day, another problem. The major problem is me. I did not read your last post properly and promptly did the very thing you advised against. In other words, I gratefully seized on what I thought was a clear task and entered all the figures ( IPV4 address, IPV4 subnet mask, IPV4 default gateway, Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server) in your screenshot after I had logged in to my NVR in my Safari browser. I now have a frozen login page and can no longer access my NVR. I have also lost live view within both iVMS4200 and SecuritySpy. Have I totalled my system? I couldn't use my TV monitor to enter the gateway settings because the fields were greyed out and inactive. I apologise for my stupidity and wasting your valuable time. Is there a way back? Is my computer compromised via my cameras / NVR? Do you think I should turn my NVR off for safety?

Another day, another problem. The major problem is me. I did not read your last post properly and promptly did the very thing you advised against. In other words, I gratefully seized on what I thought was a clear task and entered all the figures ( IPV4 address, IPV4 subnet mask, IPV4 default gateway, Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server) in your screenshot after I had logged in to my NVR in my Safari browser. I now have a frozen login page and can no longer access my NVR. I have also lost live view within both iVMS4200 and SecuritySpy. Have I totalled my system? I couldn't use my TV monitor to enter the gateway settings because the fields were greyed out and inactive. I apologise for my stupidity and wasting your valuable time. Is there a way back? Is my computer compromised via my cameras / NVR? Do you think I should turn my NVR off for safety?

oops!

Don't worry thats a quick fix. Just use the NVR menu on the TV/monitor. The benefit of that is that you can't lose connection to it when the network settings are wrong. Use the local menu, and change all of the settings to what they should be and you'll have access again. All you actually need to do is change the IP address to 192.168.1.250 and the gateway to 192.168.1.254. the other settings are fine. If you can't change the gateway using the monitor (not sure why?, whether it's empty or not you should be able to click the mouse in the empty entry and fill it in - the DHCP box should be unticked to allow all settings to be manually entered), then just change the IP address using the local menu THEN go back in with the browser and edit the gateway.

Last edited:
oops!

Don't worry thats a quick fix. Just use the NVR menu on the TV/monitor. The benefit of that is that you can't lose connection to it when the network settings are wrong. Use the local menu, and change all of the settings to what they should be and you'll have access again. All you actually need to do is change the IP address to 192.168.1.250 and the gateway to 192.168.1.254. the other settings are fine. If you can't change the gateway using the monitor (not sure why?, whether it's empty or not you should be able to click the mouse in the empty entry and fill it in - the DHCP box should be unticked to allow all settings to be manually entered), then just change the IP address using the local menu THEN go back in with the browser and edit the gateway.
In TV monitor I was able to enter correct IPv4 address (192.168.1.250) and I now have live view back in both iVMS4200 and SecuritySpy. However, I can't get round the gateway address problem. The field is greyed out and no amount of mouse clicking in the empty fields (currently reading . . .) has any effect. The fields are dead and I am unable to enter anything. I can now also access my NVR in my browser (phew!) but here again, the IPv4 default gateway field has an address in it (192.168.x.x) which is unresponsive to mouse clicks...just as on the TV monitor. Within the settings in my browser, the Preferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS Server fields are blank. In both browser and TV monitor, the DHCP box is unticked. Also, in my browser page, there is a difference to the settings in your screenshot. Under the "NIC Type" field, you show "Auto" whereas I show "100M Full-dup". This field is also unalterable and shows no alternatives. This may be inconsequential but I don't know.

In TV monitor I was able to enter correct IPv4 address (192.168.1.250) and I now have live view back in both iVMS4200 and SecuritySpy. However, I can't get round the gateway address problem. The field is greyed out and no amount of mouse clicking in the empty fields (currently reading . . .) has any effect. The fields are dead and I am unable to enter anything. I can now also access my NVR in my browser (phew!) but here again, the IPv4 default gateway field has an address in it (192.168.x.x) which is unresponsive to mouse clicks...just as on the TV monitor. Within the settings in my browser, the Preferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS Server fields are blank. In both browser and TV monitor, the DHCP box is unticked. Also, in my browser page, there is a difference to the settings in your screenshot. Under the "NIC Type" field, you show "Auto" whereas I show "100M Full-dup". This field is also unalterable and shows no alternatives. This may be inconsequential but I don't know.
I can’t think of a reason why the gateway would be uneditable. It will be necessary to change it to enable remote connection (otherwise the network settings of the router would need to be altered to get around the issue and I wouldn’t recommend that). I’d try shutting down the NVR completely (as opposed to rebooting). Shutdown the NVR from the menu on the monitor. When you get the prompt on screen turn it off at the switch. Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on again. Give it several minutes to boot up fully and for the cameras to reconnect, then try altering the uneditable settings again.

I can’t think of a reason why the gateway would be uneditable. It will be necessary to change it to enable remote connection (otherwise the network settings of the router would need to be altered to get around the issue and I wouldn’t recommend that). I’d try shutting down the NVR completely (as opposed to rebooting). Shutdown the NVR from the menu on the monitor. When you get the prompt on screen turn it off at the switch. Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on again. Give it several minutes to boot up fully and for the cameras to reconnect, then try altering the uneditable settings again.

I tried this but the fields were still uneditable.I have safely shut down the NVR again. I routinely shut it down anyway when we are not on holiday. My cameras are only used when I'm away. Whenever I turn the NVR back on again, I usually exit the set up wizard screen on the basis that the NVR was originally set up using the wizard help and there is no need to do it again. I wonder whether, on this occasion, I should again use the set up wizard. What do you think?
I sense that we are reaching an impasse with little, if anything, that is worth trying. Thank you for all your help so far. You have given me the confidence to try clicking buttons and entering data that I would normally be too timid to do. May I ask one last question of you. I have noticed that my SADP tool has a page that will enable me to "Modify Network Parameters" and this page has an item labelled "Gateway". This field is editable (merely requiring my NVR password) unlike the field on my TV monitor. I could try entering 192.168.1.254 (currently it has 192.168.0.1) and see if that works.

I tried this but the fields were still uneditable.I have safely shut down the NVR again. I routinely shut it down anyway when we are not on holiday. My cameras are only used when I'm away. Whenever I turn the NVR back on again, I usually exit the set up wizard screen on the basis that the NVR was originally set up using the wizard help and there is no need to do it again. I wonder whether, on this occasion, I should again use the set up wizard. What do you think?
I sense that we are reaching an impasse with little, if anything, that is worth trying. Thank you for all your help so far. You have given me the confidence to try clicking buttons and entering data that I would normally be too timid to do. May I ask one last question of you. I have noticed that my SADP tool has a page that will enable me to "Modify Network Parameters" and this page has an item labelled "Gateway". This field is editable (merely requiring my NVR password) unlike the field on my TV monitor. I could try entering 192.168.1.254 (currently it has 192.168.0.1) and see if that works.

One thing I never asked - you are logged into the recorder with the user "admin" aren't you as that is required? If you are:

1 - So although they are uneditable directly on the NVR, you DID manage to already change the IP address. You should therefore be able to edit those fields by connecting to it using the browser (as you did before when you accidentally copied the wrong ones in) - so try that first.

2 - If you can't change them from the browser, by all means edit the gateway in SADP as you have mentioned - that should also work.

3 - The query regarding the Wizard - you could see if it lets you edit the settings there. I don't use it and always untick the box for show wizard at startup.

4 - If all of the above fails and you're still unable to edit that field by any means, the firmware or configuration may be corrupt. As a first step I'd refresh the firmware onto the NVR. It's not as daunting as it sounds. There is no newer version available for your NVR than the one you already have; However if you download the file and run the update, it should just install the same version over the top of the existing without affecting any other settings. Here is the link to the correct firmware file fr your NVR:

As you're on a Mac it will unzip itself automatically and appear in the Downloads folder as "digicap.dav". Using Safari, go to the IP address of the NVR then go to Configuration > System > Maintenance. At the bottom of the page beneath Upgrade click browse and navigate to the digicap.dav file in your Downloads folder, then click Upgrade. It'll take a few minutes and when complete the NVR will reboot. Hopefully that will resolve it and you can edit away.

5 - The nuclear option. If everything else has failed and it still can't be edited either locally or using the browser - go to back to Configurations > Maintenance and click the Default button. That will wipe all settings including the IP address before rebooting it again. You would then use the local menu on the monitor to set it back up using the wizard or manually.

One thing I never asked - you are logged into the recorder with the user "admin" aren't you as that is required? If you are:

1 - So although they are uneditable directly on the NVR, you DID manage to already change the IP address. You should therefore be able to edit those fields by connecting to it using the browser (as you did before when you accidentally copied the wrong ones in) - so try that first.

2 - If you can't change them from the browser, by all means edit the gateway in SADP as you have mentioned - that should also work.

3 - The query regarding the Wizard - you could see if it lets you edit the settings there. I don't use it and always untick the box for show wizard at startup.

4 - If all of the above fails and you're still unable to edit that field by any means, the firmware or configuration may be corrupt. As a first step I'd refresh the firmware onto the NVR. It's not as daunting as it sounds. There is no newer version available for your NVR than the one you already have; However if you download the file and run the update, it should just install the same version over the top of the existing without affecting any other settings. Here is the link to the correct firmware file fr your NVR:

As you're on a Mac it will unzip itself automatically and appear in the Downloads folder as "digicap.dav". Using Safari, go to the IP address of the NVR then go to Configuration > System > Maintenance. At the bottom of the page beneath Upgrade click browse and navigate to the digicap.dav file in your Downloads folder, then click Upgrade. It'll take a few minutes and when complete the NVR will reboot. Hopefully that will resolve it and you can edit away.

5 - The nuclear option. If everything else has failed and it still can't be edited either locally or using the browser - go to back to Configurations > Maintenance and click the Default button. That will wipe all settings including the IP address before rebooting it again. You would then use the local menu on the monitor to set it back up using the wizard or manually.
I've been tinkering for two or three days now but seem tb be deeper in trouble in that I cannot get live view even on my TV monitor. Because nothing seemed to work, I followed your nuclear option above. I seem to have a lot more editable fields now on my TV monitor. The following info may or may not be relevant. The camera's 4 IPs (I am on a 2x2 screen) are all different, increasing serially by 1 from a base of 192.168.254.x. I have tried changing each to a 192.168.0.x format but to no avail. I have given each camera a password that is identical to that of the NVR. The Protocol field I have set to Hikvision, although one of the several other options is ONVIF which seems to ring bells. Within the Network, General page I can edit all fields and have set them to your suggested values in post. One item (amongst many) that I do not recognise is Internal NIC IPv4 Address which reads 192.168.254.1. Incidentally, I would be more open about the various IP addresses if I could be sure that it is OK to broadcast them in a thread such as this.
I have enabled Platform Access with the Access Type reading Hik-Connect. Don't know what significance is. On this page the Status is showing as Online, which looks promising but is belied by fact that I can't get live view. Enable Stream Encryption is unticked.
I can access my NVR in Safari browser and fields are editable.
If I open iVMS-4200, a message appears briefly saying "Incorrect username or password. please try again" I don't know which username/password this refers to. I have old notes about a password for iVMS-4200, but I am never asked for it and don't know where to enter it. While this app is open, albeit unresponsive, a little warning notice pops up every 30 secs or so at bottom of screen saying "Camera is disabled or not connected"
I am happy to provide screenshots if they will help although I would like advice on whether this would be safe.

I think you've reached a point where you need to get someone in to sort it for you. Unfortunately "tinkering" is the worst thing you can do if you're not sure what all of the settings are and what they do.

The likely issue is that after you first reset the system (nuclear option), you will have been prompted to activate the system with a strong password. To avoid losing access to the cameras, that needed to be the same as the previous one used; as when an IP camera is connected to the NVR (for the first time only) it is assigned an admin password which by default is the admin password of the NVR. Yours may now not match, so the recorder was trying to login to each camera with a new password that doesn't match what was used previously (after a few attempts it gets locked out for a certain amount of time). In addition it assigns an IP address which leads to your next issue:
I have tried changing each to a 192.168.0.x format but to no avail.
That needed to be left alone. The camera PoE ports on the back of the NVR cannot use the same network range as your LAN - they are supposed to be separate and by default addresses are assigned in the range 192.168.254.x starting at .2
I have given each camera a password that is identical to that of the NVR.
You've only edited that field in the NVR itself, that pop up window with the IP address, password, protocol etc is just telling the NVR where and how to connect to your camera. The IP addresses, password etc in the camera will have remain unchanged (depending on where you made the change). On each channel click the edit and change them all back to plug and play as they were previously.

When you've set the cameras back to plug and play and the entries change back to their 192.168.254.xxx addresses, what you can then try is to change it to manual once more and change nothing but the admin password at the bottom of that pop up box. This must be the admin password you used BEFORE you reset the NVR and NOT the one you're using now (if different). If you get it correct, the camera should come back online in live view and you can repeat for the others.

I do recommend however that you get a professional to set it up for you. What's taking you a long time would take a decent installer no time at all.

Thank you. Both cameras back to 192.168.254.x addresses and changed from plug-and-play to manual. Live view is back in both TV monitor and iVMS-4200 and is stable. NVR admin password is changed back to original password. Does the fact that I can now see Live View in iVMS-4200 mean that the cameras are online? If so, I can now start seeing if they are viewable remotely from the house. Not sure how to do this. It was achievable using my SecuritySpy application, but this currently has still to be tweaked in some way to, first of all, show Live View.

Back