01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with stand alone Hikvision set up

A couple of things

1 - is it possible the main stream of the new cam is set as H265 as that is not supported on your NVR. Often on the newer cameras the main stream defaults to H265 whereas the sub stream defaults to H264. Log into the camera and ensure it’s set to H264

2 - I’ve had a similar issue with a new cam that wouldn’t come online with an older model NVR. I had to log into the camera directly and change the authentication to “basic” rather than “digest” and that cured it. The security on the camera was newer than what was available on the old model NVR.

Last edited:
Well that’s my problem. I can’t log on to the camera. It’s visible in SADP and the NVR but when I click onto it in any screen it says it doesn’t exist.

When I try to connect via a web browser on either a PC or Mac it can’t find it. When I use the VMS4200 software it sees it but I cannot manipulate it any further.

Has the NVR assigned the problem camera an address using plug and play in the 192.168.254.xxx range and what information does the NVR give for the camera in the NVR Camera list? If all of the cameras are plug and play, you could try swapping a working one with the non working one on the back of the NVR. That would force the NVR to assign both of the cameras a new IP address using plug and play. It's worked for me before when I've "lost" a camera after upgrades (when plugged into different ports, the NVR sees the existing camera as new). If they do both come online at that point after booting, just switch them back again. I'm not sure why it won't let you connect using a web browser though. I tend not to bother with SADP for any configuration - so for Mac I just use "IP Scanner Pro" for viewing everything on the network as it can also see devices on other subnets.

Last edited:
I’ve had a similar issue with a new cam that wouldn’t come online with an older model NVR. I had to log into the camera directly and change the authentication to “basic” rather than “digest” and that cured it. The security on the camera was newer than what was available on the old model NVR.

JB1970 you are a genius!!!!!

I finally managed to log on directly to the camera and opened up the Hikvision screen. The resolution was already set at H264 so that was OK. I couldn't do it yesterday. Even though my cameras were showing up as a 192.168.254.xxx on the NVR and SADP tool for some unexplained reason it refreshed when I wasn't looking to an ip unlike anything I have in my home network e.g.169.254.XX.XX??? I had the PC disconnected from the LAN and that number was unlike anything I have. So go figure. I managed to ping this new erroneous ip address and got a response. Once I got on to the camera log in screen, I was able to reset the default of the camera back to the 192.168.xxx.xxx that had been showing on the SADP tool. The problem may have been caused by "user error", so I'm not too worried about that.

But my model camera did not give the option just for basic but gave basic/digest. So I chose that and reconnected to the NVR and whammo I have a moving picture.

In the camera menu the camera is now fully editable and I have both the old cameras with the default 12345 password and the strong password on the new camera.

I have researched this endlessly without success. I'm not sufficiently au fait with what all the settings do and I think this may be the answer that many people on the internet like me who have old and new components are searching for.

At least I can get a picture. Now I can fully set up the rest of the remote viewing systems. Hopefully I won't have to reply with even more dumb questions.

So in short it appears that you can use newer cameras like the G series that I was trying to connect if you change the security to basic/digest or digest if that option occurs.

Thank you so so much and thanks to all who have responded earlier. I was about to bin this new camera, but now at least I know it works.

JB1970 you are a genius!!!!!
lol - that's made my day!

I was on site when I saw your previous message so couldn't remember exactly where that authentication setting was, so couldn't point you directly to it, but glad you found it and it worked.

Just for a bit of info - that other IP address you saw 169.254.xxx.xxx. That's an automatically assigned IP address. People often use the term "Auto IP" incorrectly, usually they're actually referring to DHCP:

Static IP - when you set all the parameters manually.
DHCP IP - the device broadcasts a request for an IP on the network and receives an offer from one or more compatible servers (usually your router in a home environment)
Auto IP - this gets assigned when a device is set as DHCP, but fails to receive/accept an offer of an IP address from a DHCP server, or no server exists on the network. The device assigns itself an address in the range 169.254.xxx.xxx with subnet mask of 255.255.000.000. This address is non routable (won't pass data outside of the network) and is designed to allow devices communicate with one another on the same network. You might come across this from time to time when your iPhone/android shows a WiFi connection but internet isn't working - going into the advanced settings may show a 169.254 address and it's because the DHCP mechanism has failed to negotiate an address with your router.

Back