01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Our HIK Connect App shows all cameras (4) as being offline?

It says I can open the Terminal and type the underlying command... Thats where my tech knowledge, if you can call it that's, ends! :D
Ah OK, you just need open the Terminal app on your Mac (Application > Utilities > Terminal)
Then type "ping" followed by the IP address you want to check, then hit enter - which will give you the ping results described in that guide linked in my last post (press Ctrl + C to stop the ping process)

A successful ping (indicating the IP address is in use already), will show you:
1615999872863.png

If the ping is unsuccessfull, then the IP address is good to use, and you will see the following after pressing Ctrl + C:
1616000033021.png

But, definitely check what @mtv has suggested and make sure that the NVR is connected to your network/router, as this shouldn't really be necessary if it is (having DHCP enabled means your router should do this work for you).

Are the lights blinking green/orange above on the ethernetcable socket on the nvr and on the router? if no Lights are blinking then the cable isn’t in on router or cable is defective. Maybe someone has s longer cable to borrow from or even a lan-checker to test te cable. On the photo i can’t see them burning.

or you try your imac towards the nvr and switch cable.
They’re not - I didn’t even think to check that.

I managed to angle the Mac to the the cable and it’s not showing as connected
002C5EF3-13D5-463D-BEAD-D4E1E2ADBE34.jpeg

sorry the quality of the picture isn’t best ever, so it looks like the fault is with the Ethernet cable? My neighbour has a 10m Ethernet cable but I’m not sure I’ll need that now to test the line? I’m guessing I’ll need the installers back out to replace the cable!?

Ah OK, you just need open the Terminal app on your Mac (Application > Utilities > Terminal)
Then type "ping" followed by the IP address you want to check, then hit enter - which will give you the ping results described in that guide linked in my last post (press Ctrl + C to stop the ping process)

A successful ping (indicating the IP address is in use already), will show you:
View attachment 5425

If the ping is unsuccessfull, then the IP address is good to use, and you will see the following after pressing Ctrl + C:
View attachment 5426

But, definitely check what @mtv has suggested and make sure that the NVR is connected to your network/router, as this shouldn't really be necessary if it is (having DHCP enabled means your router should do this work for you).
It doesn’t look like it’s connected. So I assume the fault is with the cable? When I plugged the cable into the iMac it showed as below
30EF3CF1-7B2D-4F2F-A784-9FA6B9632046.jpeg

Is it now a case of replacement cable rather than trying the steps you suggested??

What i would do is use your neigbours cable to see when connected that your nvr comes back to live and that your issue is resolved. Then you can replace that cable that isn’t working. We know the cable isn’t good, but you want to know that the issue is not at your router. So if possible remove the cableconnector from the same routerport and with the neighbour cable connect it to same port and the nvr and see if the problem goes away

if all is fine afterwards then the old cable can be still used, if the connectors are being removed and renewed and tested.

Last edited:
Hi @mtv. My neighbours cable worked so there's no issue with the router. When I plugged the NVR cable back in, all the cameras came back on!! So there seems to be a cable fault although it appears to be intermittent! Thank you for your help

The SADP is now also showing a the HIK Vision device!! So in order to get the IP address of the cameras, so that I can log in in future I need to follow the initial advice from @Kyle??

while you're able to get into the nvr cause all the camera's are working you said, so within hik-connect it all is OK now.
In the NVR within the option camera you see the ip address of them, but those might be assigned by the NVR itself and therefor not accessible directly, but............

From my experience, i have an POE NVR and therefor see only the NVR in SADP, not the camera's it self, but I can access them outside the NVR via enable virtual host inside the NVR But I don't know if that will be the same as with BNC camera's. But when you fire-up SADP you would probably see.

You might get access to virtual host via this:

Go to Configuration>Network>Advanced Settings>Other and tick Enable Virtual Host. Click Save. If you click one of these links it will open a new tab in your web browser where you will be aksed to log in again. This time you will be logged into your camera, where you can make changes to the camera itself.

But not to disturb the "happy" flow while the camera's are working i found this:

And within the manual i can't find it either, or into the firmware upgrade notes.

But there is an option to manage the device from a browser, simply type in the ip address of your nvr from a browser and you might be able to login.

Last edited:
But not to disturb the "happy" flow while the camera's are working i found this:

And within the manual i can't find it either, or into the firmware upgrade notes.

But there is an option to manage the device from a browser, simply type in the ip address of your nvr from a browser and you might be able to login.
From what I can see, most DVR's don't seem to have the virtual host feature. You would just log into the DVR using its IP address and manage all the camera settings from this one page / IP address.

Has @mtv 's advice brought the cameras back online in Hik-Connect too?
If they're working in the app again, then you don't need to do anything else, just make a note of the IP address (or check SADP whenever you need it).
If you want to use DVR's web browser page to view and manage the cameras on one of your Macs, then you will probably need to install the plugin linked in my first post.

From what I can see, most DVR's don't seem to have the virtual host feature. You would just log into the DVR using its IP address and manage all the camera settings from this one page / IP address.

Has @mtv 's advice brought the cameras back online in Hik-Connect too?
If they're working in the app again, then you don't need to do anything else, just make a note of the IP address (or check SADP whenever you need it).
If you want to use DVR's web browser page to view and manage the cameras on one of your Macs, then you will probably need to install the plugin linked in my first post.
All the cameras are back online now. Thanks to you both @Kyle and @mtv for all your help.

I now have the IP address (finally) and it takes me to the HIK Connect browser login BUT it won't recognise my password, I assumed it would be the one I use for my app, but now i'm wondering if it will be a generic HIK Connect password?

Back