01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How do I Update the Firmware of my DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A Hikvision NVR?

scooby73466

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I am asking if anyone would be kind enough to help me update the firmware on my Hikvision CCTV system please ? I think I know how to do it but don't want to crash the system and so I thought I would ask that if I undertake the following procedures the update would be successful. I operate the system from my Windows 8.1 64bit desktop.

My Hikvision NVR is a DS-7604NI-E1-4P (or at least that is what is written on my purchase invoice dated 01/12/2016) When I look in Device Management>Server it is slightly different i.e. DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A On the same screen I am told that the Firmware Version is V3.4.62build 160503. It has never been updated since the purchase.

I have been advised by my supplier that the most recent firmware update is available here as a zip file :

HIKVISION UK PORTAL

Am I correct in thinking that I need to undertake the following procedures ?

1. For convenience create a brand new folder on my pc.
2. Download the zip file into that folder and unzip it.
3. Log into my NVR using the IP address.
4. Take the Configuration option as shown in the image below (Serial No. hidden in case there might be a security issue if it is shown)
5. And then take the "Update" option as outlined in green. I presume that if I do this then I will be asked where the unzipped firmware update is and proceed accordingly.

Thanks to anyone in advance if they can tell me if my planned procedure is the correct one.

Attachments

• Firmware(3).jpg
    Firmware(3).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 924
Thank you. When you say that there is a big difference between what I am using now and the current version what exactly do you mean ? Os it a difference in interface or just a lot more options ? i.e. Would there be a huge learning curve ? I think I will try and go to the next version up from mine initially just to see that I can do it.
I am talking about the last 2 digits in the firmware number (not the build date). You are going from .62 to .98 there should only be minor changes between each firmware update. Some of these updates could include security fixes which you must do. That is why you need each one.

I don't think there will be a big difference, or learning curve, to the user interface.

Do V3.4.80 first and see what its like.

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 10.41.33.png

Upvote 0
I am talking about the last 2 digits in the firmware number (not the build date). You are going from .62 to .98 there should only be minor changes between each firmware update. Some of these updates could include security fixes which you must do. That is why you need each one.

I don't think there will be a big difference, or learning curve, to the user interface.

Do V3.4.80 first and see what its like.

View attachment 5892
Thank you for all that. Something has cropped up at this end that means I don't have as much time to devote to this right now. i.e. It's just about stopped raining and there is a lot of work to do outside. I'll report back when I have a result but in view of the forecast it might be a day or two.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all that. Something has cropped up at this end that means I don't have as much time to devote to this right now. i.e. It's just about stopped raining and there is a lot of work to do outside. I'll report back when I have a result but in view of the forecast it might be a day or two.
No problem, let me know when you are ready.

Upvote 0
No problem, let me know when you are ready.
I seem to remember you suggesting somewhere that when I format the stick prior to loading it with the update that I may have to format it in a certain way but unfortunately I can't find your suggestion now in this topic. Any chance of repeating what you wrote please ?

Upvote 0
I seem to remember you suggesting somewhere that when I format the stick prior to loading it with the update that I may have to format it in a certain way but unfortunately I can't find your suggestion now in this topic. Any chance of repeating what you wrote please ?
It’s in the pdf attachment. Format msdos fat32, full format not quick.

Upvote 0
You will not believe this ! But due to your help, patience, and good nature I have successfully updated the firmware on my NVR. I did it with a Fat32 formatted memory stick that contained the digicap.dav file and nothing else and then inserted it into the rear of my NVR. I then went through your very clear and helpful instructions of getting into the Menu>Maintenance>Upgrade section on my standalone monitor and the NVR found the file and I went through the upgrade process. Heart skipped a few beats when the system was re-booting but we got there in the end.

Can't thank you enough and if you're ever in Warwickshire let me know and I'll buy you a drink or three.

Attachments

• Firmware(7).JPG
    Firmware(7).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
You will not believe this ! But due to your help, patience, and good nature I have successfully updated the firmware on my NVR. I did it with a Fat32 formatted memory stick that contained the digicap.dav file and nothing else and then inserted it into the rear of my NVR. I then went through your very clear and helpful instructions of getting into the Menu>Maintenance>Upgrade section on my standalone monitor and the NVR found the file and I went through the upgrade process. Heart skipped a few beats when the system was re-booting but we got there in the end.

Can't thank you enough and if you're ever in Warwickshire let me know and I'll buy you a drink or three.
We got there in the end, if you decide to continue upgrading don’t forget to delete the usb digicap file before copying the next one over.

let me know if you need anymore help.

Upvote 0
We got there in the end, if you decide to continue upgrading don’t forget to delete the usb digicap file before copying the next one over.

let me know if you need anymore help.
Yes, we did get there and it's was all down to your help. Thank you. I have a couple of mundane questions if I may.

I obviously want to get my system up to the current version of the firmware. If you were me would you just jump straight in with the latest version or would you, as you have suggested previously, upgrade gradually like skipping one version and going for alternate ones on the list ?
And yes, I will of course delete the digicap.dav file from the memory stick once I have used it but do you think that I should format the stick each time prior to transferring the next version on to it ? I wouldn't normally do that when using sticks or SD cards but if you think I should in this instance then I will.

Upvote 0
By skipping updates we don't know if you will miss any security updates, I would do each one in sequence. A pain but at least you know its done right. No need to reformat the usb.

Don't forget, when you finish the updates on the eu website there are another 2 on the UK site.

Are you planning to update the firmware your cameras?

Upvote 0
By skipping updates we don't know if you will miss any security updates, I would do each one in sequence. A pain but at least you know its done right. No need to reformat the usb.

Don't forget, when you finish the updates on the eu website there are another 2 on the UK site. Sorry, you've lost me there. Could you explain please ?

Are you planning to update the firmware your cameras?
I have only got some Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP EXIR Turret Dome 4mm Cameras, and one Hikvision DS-2DE4220IW-D 2MP external IR PTZ (12V) camera. I'm quite happy with the cameras as they are. Does the firmware need upgrading on these ?

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 Here are the last two NVR updates. Whilst I was checking the firmware for your NVR I realised mine was out of date so I updated it.

Are your cameras connected direct to your NVR?

Like the NVR firmware updates improve security and functionality, you can leave it for a later date.
So could you confirm for me please that I should update from V3.4.82 build 160818 (I have already updated to V3.4.80 as you know) from this link DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL and then when I have done that, one at a time, I should update the two that are contained in the link that you have sent me in your last post ? i.e. HIKVISION UK PORTAL and that when I have done that then my NVR firmware will be up to date ?

If that is correct then I will have a total of 10 NVR firmware updates to do because I am going to do them individually and not jump any as advised by you earlier. Apologies if I am being a bit nerdy but although I grew up at the DOS prompt 36 years ago I am now mid-70s and I have to make doubly sure that when I am going through anything technical these days that I check and double check.

Yes, my cameras are connected, via cable, direct from the cameras and straight into the NVR. I will get the NVR all up to date first before I make a decision about the cameras. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
So could you confirm for me please that I should update from V3.4.82 build 160818 (I have already updated to V3.4.80 as you know) from this link DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL and then when I have done that, one at a time, I should update the two that are contained in the link that you have sent me in your last post ? i.e. HIKVISION UK PORTAL and that when I have done that then my NVR firmware will be up to date ? Yes, then your NVR will be the same firmware as mine

If that is correct then I will have a total of 10 NVR firmware updates to do because I am going to do them individually and not jump any as advised by you earlier. Apologies if I am being a bit nerdy but although I grew up at the DOS prompt 36 years ago I am now mid-70s and I have to make doubly sure that when I am going through anything technical these days that I check and double check. Punch cards, magnetic tape, 5.25" floppies etc

Yes, my cameras are connected, via cable, direct from the cameras and straight into the NVR. I will get the NVR all up to date first before I make a decision about the cameras. Thank you again. You are welcome.

Upvote 0
Got up to V3.4.92 this evening. Time for a beer methinks. I sold Apricot hardware if I could. 720k floppies and then 1.44Mb floppies - wow. 1st pc was a dual 720k floppy. Progs on drive A, data on drive B, no hard drive, with a green screen and an Epson dot matrix printer. Still got one of those. No graphics of course. Software for the accounts was written in P-System Pascal but hosted under DOS. £1600-£1800 for a complete system in 1985 but I gave 4 half days training. My final Apricot was an XI 20 - 20 Mb hard disk !!! c/w 1.44Mb floppy drive. Then along came Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad) , first with his 1512 with that horrible monitor and then the 1640 which was a bit better (and colour !) both with 5.25 floppies.. But c/w with one of his dot matrix printers they were cheap systems and there was nothing in the job anymore. In 1985, when I took on the job as an agent for the software house, I had access to Micromail. an emailing system hosted by Telecom Gold. About 3 minutes to send one page of A4 text. Dial up in those days, no B/Band. Still using the software for my accounts. 36 years and not a hint of a breakdown. Wish I could say the same about some of my kit !

Upvote 0
Got up to V3.4.92 this evening. Time for a beer methinks. I sold Apricot hardware if I could. 720k floppies and then 1.44Mb floppies - wow. 1st pc was a dual 720k floppy. Progs on drive A, data on drive B, no hard drive, with a green screen and an Epson dot matrix printer. Still got one of those. No graphics of course. Software for the accounts was written in P-System Pascal but hosted under DOS. £1600-£1800 for a complete system in 1985 but I gave 4 half days training. My final Apricot was an XI 20 - 20 Mb hard disk !!! c/w 1.44Mb floppy drive. Then along came Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad) , first with his 1512 with that horrible monitor and then the 1640 which was a bit better (and colour !) both with 5.25 floppies.. But c/w with one of his dot matrix printers they were cheap systems and there was nothing in the job anymore. In 1985, when I took on the job as an agent for the software house, I had access to Micromail. an emailing system hosted by Telecom Gold. About 3 minutes to send one page of A4 text. Dial up in those days, no B/Band. Still using the software for my accounts. 36 years and not a hint of a breakdown. Wish I could say the same about some of my kit !
Late 70’s I was in the RAF and did my first computing course with the prime 400 and primos. Bought a BBC B and wrote software to manage a club bar inventory and accounts. Dabbled in HP unix and the GPIO bus to get data from a spectrum analyser and control it.

Upvote 0
Late 70’s I was in the RAF and did my first computing course with the prime 400 and primos. Bought a BBC B and wrote software to manage a club bar inventory and accounts. Dabbled in HP unix and the GPIO bus to get data from a spectrum analyser and control it.
Never got anywhere near programming but did a couple of web sites for properties that I sold early this century. I think it was called Frontpage and I got on quite well with it.

Upvote 0
Never got anywhere near programming but did a couple of web sites for properties that I sold early this century. I think it was called Frontpage and I got on quite well with it.
I enjoyed programming but ended up back in telecommunications and microwave / satellite networks.

Upvote 0
I would like to write you a PM but not sure how it's done on this site. When I look at your profile and I'm invited to write something does that then become a private message from me to you ?

Upvote 0
Back