01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NAS - files saved into first folder only!

The last we heard from Hikvision Support was this response below:

Just checked with HQ.
We will have a new version at the end of Sep to fix the issue.

So we will keep an eye on the Hikvision download portal and if we haven't seen any update by the end of the month we will chase them again about it.

The last we heard from Hikvision Support was this response below:

Just checked with HQ.
We will have a new version at the end of Sep to fix the issue.

So we will keep an eye on the Hikvision download portal and if we haven't seen any update by the end of the month we will chase them again about it.
Good news! Thanks! :)

Any news about the new firmware?

Last edited:
NB - Please also see:

Does anyone know whether firmware V5.6.2:
1. solved the issue with NAS drive (I know Release notes mention this but I'm not sure if anyone actually tried it?)
2. can be downgraded (I am aware that some versions did not allow downgrading)
Thank you

I had the same issue with a DS-2CD2346G2-IU running V5.5.134 build 200430 (the latest release for that camera ... no V5.6.x available yet) with my NAS server (an HPE ProLiant Microserver running SmartOS from Joyent) serving a ZFS filesystem via NFSv3

My NFS "Net HDD" was showing "Normal" after "Format" under "HDD Management", but returned to "Uninitialized" with 0.00GB "Free space" once the first file (datadir0/hiv00000.mp4) had been written.

I suspected that the issue is that since ZFS allows multiple datasets (filesystems and volumes) to be allocated from a single pool, the sum of "Used" and "Available" will not be constant for any filesystem.

Applying a little lateral thinking, I set the ZFS filesystem's "quota" property to a fixed size (in my case "zfs set quota=500G pool/camera") and reinitialised the "HDD".

And now it works, including switching to datadir1/hiv00000.mp4 once datadir0/hiv00212.mp4 has been written.

Of course, this will only work as long as there actually is enough free space available to fill the quota, but it's a handy workaround.

if you had everything working before, you can ignore my comment.

what you are experiencing with the ZFS is expected, read this thread; Hikvision NVR and FreeBSD NFS/NAS setup (with ZFS)

Thanks. This is similar to my workaround (it uses the quota property), but I didn't have to set snapdir=hidden because that is the default on Solaris, OmniOS, SmartOS etc. I'm also doing this from an IPC not an NVR.

Last edited:
@pgdh , the problem mentioned in the title was introduced with one of the firmware versions. Only one folder was being used and constantly overwritten despite quotas, separate disks for single camera, exclusive Samba shares, etc. It was fixed (probably with ver.5.6.2).

Your problem is different - as far as I know each camera needs to have exclusive disk (can be virtual or quota) with fixed allocated space. Otherwise camera doesn't know how much space it has and how to manage overwriting of older footage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Obviously NVRs work differently - this topic is for NAS.

@pgdh , the problem mentioned in the title was introduced with one of the firmware versions. Only one folder was being used and constantly overwritten despite quotas, separate disks for single camera, exclusive Samba shares, etc. It was fixed (probably with ver.5.6.2).

Your problem is different - as far as I know each camera needs to have exclusive disk (can be virtual or quota) with fixed allocated space. Otherwise camera doesn't know how much space it has and how to manage overwriting of older footage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Obviously NVRs work differently - this topic is for NAS.

Thanks. It was the single directory aspect that caught my attention in the Google search hits list. I've only had the camera one day. I've been working with ZFS since before Sun Microsystems released it to the world. At least I've added some value to the thread (if I Google again, I will find a solution). Cheers!

Back