01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Apple Safari 12 and Hikvision cameras

Hi @David Drewitt

You will need to install iVMS-4200 for Mac to update the older R6 cameras, as far as we are aware there have been no updates to the R6 cameras that will improve browser access on Macs. If you plan to continue using the older R6 cameras you will best off using iVMS-4200 for managing and viewing these cameras on a Mac.

@David Drewitt my Mac is Catalina 10.15.6 and I have 2 R6 cameras with fw V5.5.82 build 190909.

with Safari Version 13.1.2 (15609.3.5.1.3) There is no live view but I can access the config tab and get to the maintenance> upgrade page.

The latest version of Chrome (Mac) does not work at all, an earlier version might.

Hi Phil

perfect. Thank you. Worked great to update to V5.5.82

And... David, thank you. I can now get to the update firmware now I have updated to V5.5.82 using iVMS4200 but it wasn’t available before the update

Hi Phil

perfect. Thank you. Worked great to update to V5.5.82

And... David, thank you. I can now get to the update firmware now I have updated to V5.5.82 using iVMS4200 but it wasn’t available before the update

@David Drewitt what version of ivms4200 are you using? mine is (see pic) and keeps crashing. @Dan
Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 16.42.47.png

I find Hikvision software releases and versions confusing. The Hikvision US site shows iVMS-4200 v2.0.0.10 Mac64 as the latest available version... but the UK site shows 2.0.0.12. Anyways... I tarballed the 2.0.0.10 version in /Applications and installed 2.0.0.12. It seems more stable (2.0.0.10 is awful for bugs) in the short time I've used it.

Update.. I noted there are still issues with the individual camera tool bars from iVMS bleed through to other active windows which is a pain.

Last edited:
I finally found a web browser that gives me a live feed in High Sierra: an old version of Opera (v25) which can be downloaded at: download opera 25.0.1614.71 free (mac)

The current version (v63) doesn't give a live feed so don't download it since Opera doesn't seem to allow two versions to co-exist on the same startup volume. It is however an excellent, minimalist, Mac-centric browser which, unlike Safari, supports 4K video.

It's possible that there is a newer version (than 25) which delivers a live feed but I haven't had time to test.

Since this discussion shows up near the top of a Google search for Hikvision Mac support, I thought I'd add my success story after struggling for a long time to get my older cameras configured properly.

The Opera 25 suggestion above is spot on and is the ONLY solution that has allowed me to access the Hik configuration controls that require a working liveview feature (OSD settings, line crossing, tamper detection... anything that requires drag/draw to set parameters). Thanks @macman , admins, and everyone else who's contributed to this forum!

My current setup:

Macbook Pro (early 2015) running Mojave 10.14.6
Opera v25.0.1614.71
Hikvision plugin for Mac 3.06.23 (the last one available, I believe, from 2018)
Six Hikvision cameras of the DS-2CD203 or DS-2CD204 series, each with the latest (or near latest) official firmware available from Hik for each camera, respectively.

I also had to delete my newer Opera preferences to allow Opera v25 to launch correctly.

What did NOT work for my setup/cameras: The older Firefox ESD got me liveview but only on the camera's main page, not in the configuration controls. FF was also flat-out rejected by some of my cameras with specific firmwares. IVMS-4200 is just awful, full of bugs, and the above mentioned config controls don't work at all for me.

It seems like the solution that works best is really dependent on what camera you have and what firmware is installed. Hopefully others will have as much luck with Opera as I did. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back